Burgage Church History
Full title: Burgage, County Wicklow
Creator / Author: Very Rev. Myles V. Ronan
Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 13p
Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. XIII, No. 4, pp. 184-192
When Published: 1953
Publisher / Place of Publication: County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare
About: This article is an ecclesiastical history of Burgage. Anciently known as Domhnach-Imleach and associated with Saint Molomma, its church was one of the four principal churches of the Diocese of Glendalough. The article starts with the oldest existing mention of the church in 1179 and continues up to the 1730’s. It covers the holdings of the church, sets it in the context of the history of the period and describes the remaining ruins. Interestingly, the author sees the silver lining in the cloud of Henry VII’s suppresson of religious houses. He reasons that the inquisitions into their possessions gives us much more information about them than would otherwise have survived.
ID number(s): 0332-0782
Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.
Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.
Extra #3: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.