A Millennium and a Half of Tullow History
© Geography Publications
Full title: Tullow – from Medieval Manor to Market Town
Creator / Author: Margaret Murphy
Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 23pp
When Published: 2008
Publisher / Place of Publication: Geography Publications / 24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W.
Parent Publication [book]: Carlow: history & society. Interdisciplinary essays on the history of an Irish county / edited by Thomas McGrath / 1070pp
About: A history of Tullow in County Carlow from around the fifth century to beginning of the nineteenth century. In particular the article describes how Tullow survived the transition from a medieval manor to a thriving market town. The author cites the resilience of its people (both native and settler) as the defining characteristic of this period of its history.
ID number(s): 9780906602386
Contents Introduction – Before the Anglo-Normans – After the conquest – The castle and town – Parish church and friary – Mills and weirs – Demesne lands – Tenants — The fourteenth to sixteenth centuries – The post-medieval period — Conclusions – Acknowledgements – Appendix 1: Account of Walter Miller of the ward of Tullow from Tuesday after Michaelmas in the 13th year of King Edward to Michaelmas in the 14th year of King Edward that is for three terms [1265-6] — References.
WW Connection #1: The Manor of Tullow would have extended into parts of West Wicklow such as the areas around Rathgall and Aghowle.
WW Connection #2: The author is a native of Baltinglass.
Extra #1: Includes three maps and two other illustrations.
Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.
Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.
Extra #4: Link to the Publisher’s website: http://www.geographypublications.com/