West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Bridges”

Seventh Baltinglass Parish Review

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: The Review 2010: a year in the life of Baltinglass, Bigstone, Grangecon and Stratford.

Creator / Author: Compiled by the Communications Sub-Group of St. Joseph’s Parish Pastoral Council, Editorial Board: Paula Burke, Margaret Brennan, Bernie Doogue…et al.

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 72pp

When Published: 2010

Publisher / Place of Publication: St. Joseph’s Parish Baltinglass / Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow.

About: This is the seventh issue of an annual publication. Within its A4-sized format, it chronicles activities in the parish during the year, publishes short articles of general or historical interest and includes photographs past and present. Contemporary advertisements help to provide a snapshot of local economic activity.

ID number(s): None

Contents: A Word from the Parish Priest / Tommy Dillon – Foreword / Mary Hanlon – KARE and the ‘new’ Lalor Centre / Pauline Balfe – Opening of Lalor Centre & Parish Centre / David Leigh – Baltinglass Adult Learning Centre – Leinster Gaelic Greats Hall of Fame Award to Kevin O’Brien July 2010 / Martin Coleman – Bead Mosaic Sets Record – Wicklow U14 Ladies Lift Leinster Title – Baltinglass Ladies GAA – Earthquake in Christchurch / Oonagh Browne – School reunion for the class of 1985-86 / Stephanie Quinn – An Unusual Neighbour / Orla O’Sullivan (The Pike) – Scoil Chonglais Debs 2010 [photograph] – Eamon Doyle, Ricketstown, Rathvilly / Eamon Doyle – School Football Memories / Ken Browne – Community Games Review / Liz Tyrell – The Present from the Past-Tommy O’Connor / Jim Kearney – Street Festival / Niamh Kearney – Pilgrimage in Fatima / Margaret Byrne – The Ruin of Pilsworth House / Orla O’Sullivan – Wicklow Tops in All-Ireland Sheep Shearing Championships – Special Olympics – Remembering Baltinglass / Frank Brophy – Get Vocal / Mary Hayes – President visits Scoil Naomh Iosaf [photo gallery] – The evidence for acupuncture in the Irish health system / Fiona Doyle – Bridges and Fords / Paul Gorry — Baptisms in St. Joseph’s Parish from 1st October 2009 to 30th September 2010 — Baltinglass G.A.A. Club summary of activities for 2010 – Rugby Tour to Paris / Cillian Burke – Baltinglass Badminton Club New Hall Opened on 26th September 2010 / Joey Fagan – Ballyraggan – Bigstone / Peter Keogh – Wedding Anniversaries — Weddings in St. Joseph’s Parish from 1st October 2009 to 30th September 2010 — Tearmann Community Garden – Grange Con and its Tidy Town / John A. O’ Toole – Winning the Lotto Plus 2 Draw / Sheila Fitzpatrick — Deaths in the Parish from 1st October 2009 to 30th September 2010 – Baltinglass Mission – Trek in Peru – [Photo Gallery] – Michael Flatley Made my Dream Come True / David Walsh — Holy Communion / Confirmation Classes 2010 [photographs] — Scoil Naomh Iosaf Smashes World Record / Brian Flood — Children’s Section – Golden Wedding Celebration – FÁS & Tidy Towns Ltd – Helping Baltinglass – Stratford / Grangecon GAA – The Pinnacle or Rathcoran Hill / Frank Hunt – Baltinglass Hill [poem] / Frank Hunt — Grangecon Boxing Club / Declan O’Kane – Baltinglass No Name Club / Niamh Kearney – Official Blessing and Opening of Our New Parish Centre / Sr. Brigid Morgan – Working on the ‘Tudors’ / Orlagh McDonagh

Extra #1: Contains seven full pages of photographs, not counting pictures included in individual articles.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Crossing the Liffey in Wicklow and Kildare

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Some notes on the fords and bridges over the River Liffey

Creator / Author: Archdeacon Sherlock

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 13p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. VI (Number 4), pp. 293-305

When Published: July 1910

Publisher / Place of Publication: County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About:   In this article the author firstly introduces the geography of the River Liffey and lists the various fords at which it was possible to traverse it. Then, starting downwards from Blessington, he goes on to describe the various stone bridges that one would have encountered all the way through to Leixlip in Kildare. For each location he also provides interesting historical information.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: includes four photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: An extract from this article together with an extended commentary was published in Ballymore Eustace and Hollywood Chronicle, Christmas 1972.

Extra #5: Browse the 1901 Census return for the author William Sherlock.

Extra #6: Browse the 1911 Census return for the author William Sherlock.

Extra #7: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Demolition Disallowed

Book cover image

© WCC

Full title: Record of Protected Structures Wicklow County Council Area

Creator / Author: Wicklow County Council

Item Type / Page count: Book / ebook / 79p

When Published: 2010

Publisher / Place of Publication: Wicklow County Council / Wicklow.

Parent Publication [book]: Wicklow County Development Plan 2010-2016, Volume 2 Maps, Schedules and Appendices

About: This comprehensive listing and brief descriptions of more than 500 protected structures throughout all the county is Appendix 4 of the second volume of the Wicklow County Development Plan covering the period 2010 to 2016.  It covers all types of structures including private houses, country houses, rectories, churches, commercial buildings, bridges, schools, pubs, hotels, street furniture etc.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Each entry arranged under Ref. No. / OS Map Ref. / Building Address / Structure / Townland / Description

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: View / Download the full text of this publication (pdf file) via Wicklow.ie website.

Extra #3: Each entry is accompanied by a colour photograph.

First Collection of Lakeside Articles

Cover image

© BLHG

Full title: Journal of Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group

Creator / Author: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group / Blessington (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The inaugural publication of a set of articles on aspects of the history and heritage of areas that surround Blessington Lake. All articles are concise ranging from snippets to four and a half pages. Plans are already afoot for the next issue.

ID number(s): 9781908559906

Contents: Cover Photo: The Mace of the Corporation of Blessington, 1786 — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Members — Future issues of the journal — The Tassies of Threecastles / John Hussey — Early local headstones (based on a talk by Chris Corlett) — A stranger in Ireland (snippet) / John Carr — Fair day in Blessington / Seamus Balfe — Early-Medieval Mill-site at Burgage Mor / C.J. Darby — Members of Parliament for Blessington 1692-1800 — The sand pits at Blessington — A history of stonemasons / Andy Farrington — Local lime kilns / Aiden Cruise — “I done my bit for my country” / Tom Tyrell — Presentment Grants, Kildare Spring Assizes, 1882 / abstract by Aiden Cruise — Archaeological locations in Lakeside / Aiden Cruise — The Quaker burial-ground at Baltyboys / Maureen McCaw — The woollen mills, Ballymore-Eustace / Matt Purcell — A visit to Bishop Boden’s Well, Lacken, Sunday November 5th, 1978 / Seamus Balfe — The Dispensary Doctor / Fidelma Clearkin— Church of ‘Our Lady’ [from Irish Independent Friday, 31st May, 1946] — Summer visitors – by Tram [from Irish Independent Saturday, 17th August, 1912] — Public Notices [from Freemans Journal 24th August, 1921] — Threecastles and Burgage Castle / Dr. Brendan O’Riordain — Blessington is our town [poem] / Michael Farrington — Church records and Manor Kilbride graveyard survey / Blessington History Society — Kilbride Military Camp / courtesy of Pat Lavelle — Cures in the 1820s from Fr. Finney of Valleymount — Blessington Men’s Shed — Estate Maps of our district — The Liffey Bridges beat them all! — Back Cover Photo: The gravestone of Patrick Brady at Manor Kilbride, 1732

Extra #1: Contains black & white photographs, illustrations and plans.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group can be contacted via email @gmail.com. Use BlessingtonLakeside as the name.

A Bygone Christmas Gift From Hollywood

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Ballymore Eustace and Hollywood Chronicle

Creator / Author: Maurice Browne P.P (editor) & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 103p

When Published: Christmas 1972

Publisher / Place of Publication: [Parish of Ballymore Eustace and Hollywood] / [Ballymore Eustace, Co. Kildare].

About: This is the second issue of the parish magazine, produced some twenty years after the inaugural issue. The driving force behind both was Rev. Fr. Maurice Browne, P.P. of the parish. Fr. Browne also authored several books and other items under the pen name of ‘Joseph Brady’. This issue gathers together articles of contemporary and historical interest. It is not certain if any further issues were ever published.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Cover photograph: The bridge over the Liffey at Ballymore Eustace — Frontispiece: Adoration of the Magi [photograph of a painting from the Beit Collection] – Foreword / Maurice Browne P.P. — Fords and bridges over the River Liffey [extract] / Archdeacon Sherlock — Commentary on extract from ‘Fords and bridges over the River Liffey’  — Parish Priest comes of age / Maurice Browne P.P. – I remember Ballymore / Captain Spencer Freeman — The Beit Collection of pictures [extract from the Beit Collection] / F. J. B. Watson — Eight years hard in a Dublin Pawn-office / Tom Whittle — Six months for potheen [short story] / Paddy Wolfe , told to him by Capt. John Walshe –Through Bible lands / Mick McDonald — From Bluebell to Hollywood / Thomas Kearney C.C. — Hollywood [poem] / Bill Evans — The station in the mountain: Turlough Hill — The Liffey Water Supply / Gus Murphy — Pages from diary of a pilgrimage to The Holy Land / Joseph Brady — Ardenode Stud / Margaret Mullion — Footnote to ‘Ardenode Stud’/ Maurice Browne P.P. – Paroiste Bhailemor na nIustasach / P. Ó Brosnacháin – The new curriculum / Michael Conway – Work in progress in the infant school / Patricia Kennealy – Picnic abhi againn [duais aiste] / Bríd Ní Chuillin – The Ghost [prize poem] / George Murphy – Prize essays Ballymore School, Senior Class – Punchestown races [prize essay] /  Matthew Dooley – When I grow up [prize essay] / Martina Nolan – Through the eyes of a child: visit of the Archbishop to Ballymore school – Ballymore Eustace I.C.A. / Mary Connolly – St. Vincent de Paul Society Ballymore Eustace – Corpus Christi procession at Ballymore Eustace [photo essay] – Paddy Kerr’s beagles / Louise Kerr – The Poulaphooca hare [poem] / Sean Mackey – Ballymore Handball Club / Matt Purcell – Boxing in Ballymore Eustace / Bill Evans – The Badminton Club / Claire Doyle – “Fairway to success” / Pauline Daly – The judgment of Ballymore [poem extract] / Dick Hynes and Anon – The imaginary menagerie.

Extra #1: Contains several black & white photographs throughout the text.

Extra #2: Contains several period advertisements from local businesses.

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

All Our Places in One Place

 

 

 

Full title: Bunachar Logainmneacha na hÉireann = Placenames Database of Ireland

Creator / Author: FIONTAR in collaboration with The Placenames Branch (Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht).

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage  URL: http://www.logainm.ie/

When Viewed: Contents correct as of August 2013.

Publisher / Place of Publication: Fiontar / Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9.

About: This is the ‘go to’ location for looking up all our placenames. It is fully searchable in Irish or English and returns information on the correct spelling of the name, the meaning of the name, the audible pronunciation of the name and the location of the place on a map of Ireland. In addition, an archival records function allows you to see how the name developed over the centuries. This award-winning site also contains much supplementary material on the topic and will repay endless visits.

Contents: [County Wicklow Only – correct as of 14/08/2013] — Baronies (8) — Electoral districts (83) — Civil parishes (60) — Towns (28) — Townlands (1363) — Localities (1) — Sub-townlands (2) — Population centres (38) — Rivers (28) — Fords (1) — Bays (1) — Passes (6) –Roads (9) — Castles (1) — Cairns (6) — Crossroads (5) — Hills (16) — Woods (10) — Rocks (4) — Promontories (5) — Bridges (22) — Sandhills (1) — Waterfalls (3) — Valleys (19) — Features (2) — Man-made features (8) — Enclosures (2) — Lakes (15) — Ecclesiastical sites (10) — Hollows (1) — Minor features (20) — Bogs (1) — Fields (3) — Monuments (13) — Mountains and mountain ranges (59) — Streets (121) — Streams (12) — Houses (11) — Wells (1) — Caves, souterrains (1).

Extra #1: Browse through the County Wicklow elements mentioned above.

Extra #2: See sample entry for Carnew

The Bridges of West Wicklow County

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: River Slaney: from source to sea: Slaney bridges and aspects.

Creator / Author: John Duffy

Item Type / Page count: Book / 123p

When Published: 2006

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Author / Tullow, Co. Carlow

About: A book which features illustrations of every one of the 33 bridges that span the River Slaney on its journey from West Wicklow, through Counties Carlow and Wexford to the sea. These illustrations are accompanied by information about the local areas and about the construction of the bridges.

ID number(s): 0955418402 / 9780955418402

Chapters: The River Slaney — Bridges — Slaney bridges of County Wicklow — Slaney bridges of County Carlow — Slaney bridges of County Wexford — Fishing and boating on the River Slaney — Slaney men of ’98 — Slaney miscellaneous.

WW Connection #1: River Slaney rises in the West Wicklow Hills

WW Connection #2: 13 of the bridges described are located in West Wicklow

WW Connection #3: Contains some information on Michael Dwyer

Extra #1: includes pencil drawings, maps

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~