West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Churches”

Noelle Keogh’s Carnew Collection

Book Cover image

© Noelle Keogh

Full title: Carnew: a Town of History & Heritage

Creator / Author:  Noelle Keogh [Co-ordinator, designer and editor]

Item Type / Page count: Book / 264p

When Published: 2015

Publisher / Place of Publication: [The Author] / Carnew, Co. Wicklow.

About: A most interesting compilation of photographs, historical book extracts, articles and short pieces. A large number of the articles had their origin in interviews with some local residents. The editor / co-ordinator has produced a unique and substantial collection of material relating to Carnew. There has been considerable local interest in this publication, resulting in all copies being quickly sold out.

ID number(s): None

Chapters: Disclaimer – Introduction – [ABOUR CARNEW] Extract from Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837 — Extract from the Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1844-1845 – Extract from Slater’s Directory 1894 – My Memories of Carnew (taken from an interview with Andy Brennan) – [BUSINESSES] Public Houses — Shops – Post Office & Bank — Butchers – Bakers — [TRADES AND MANUFACTURING] Blacksmiths and Forges – Occupations & Trades (taken from an interview with John McEvoy) – Tailors, Drapers & Shoemakers — Manufacturing – Kilcavan Quarry (taken from an interview with John Wilkinson) – Picture Gallery – [EDUCATION] Carnew National School – School Days (taken from an interview with Bill Molloy) – Picture Gallery including 1923 School Roll — All Saints National School – Documentation on School Dispute – Coláiste Bhríde – The First Class – Picture Gallery – Other Schools – [RELIGION] Religion (taken from an interview with John McEvoy) – All Saints Church – St. Brigid’s Church – Church of the Most Holy Rosary – Wesleyan Chapel – [AGRICULTURE] Fowl Market – Castle Dairy – Fairs & Marts (taken from an interview with John Wilkinson) – Ploughing Matches – Agricultural Show — Threshing – Corn Mills – My Memories of the Threshing (taken from an interview with John Wilkinson) – Agricultural Work (taken from an interview with Bill Molloy) – [SPORTS AND RECREATION] Horse Racing — Cricket — GAA – Carnew Emmets GAA Club / by Etty Kilbride – Photo Gallery — Tennis – Sports Day – Recreation — Music – At Home Week – [LAW AND ORDER] (taken from an interview with John Wilkinson) – [MILITARY] Military Records up to and including World War 1 – World War 2 (taken from an interview with John Wilkinson) – Memories of World War 2 (taken from an interview with John McEvoy) – [THEN AND NOW] Photo Gallery – [1798] Information from Interviews – Unrecorded Account as Told by an Old Resident – [CARNEW CASTLE] – [LANDLORDS] – Fitzwilliams — Landlords – Big Houses – [FAMINE] — The Poor House (taken from an interview with John McEvoy) – [EMIGRATION] – [MEDICAL] [RURAL ELECTRIFICATION] Working on the Rural Electrification (taken from an interview with Andy Brennan) – [SNOW OF 1947] (taken from an interview with John McEvoy).

Extra #1: Profusely illustrated with photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

An Architect’s Legacy in Carlow

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Thomas A. Cobden, 1794-1842: An Architect in County Carlow

Creator / Author: Thomas McDonnell

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 28pp

When Published: 2008

Publisher / Place of Publication: Geography Publications / 24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W.

Parent Publication [book]: Carlow: history & society. Interdisciplinary essays on the history of an Irish county / edited by Thomas McGrath / 1070pp

About: This essay is an introduction to the life and works of the English-born architect, Thomas Cobden. Although not that well known to a wider audience, the author argues that the range and breath of his work in Carlow and its vicinity deserves more recognition.

ID number(s): 9780906602386

Contents Cobden’s life – Cobden’s works – Church buildings – Carlow Presbyterian Chapel – Killeshin Chapel – Carlow Cathedral – Presentation Convent Chapel – St. Mary’s Church, Carlow — Tullow Churches – St. Andrew’s Church, Bagenalstown — Borris Schoolhouse – Staplestown Church – Carlow Graig Chapel – Hacketstown Chapel – Down Cathedral – Carlow College – Other work – Exhibits at the R.A. and R.H.A. – Conclusion – Thomas Alfred Cobden: a chronological table – Acknowledgements – References.

WW Connection #1: The author, a Catholic priest, was a native of Baltinglass.

Extra #1: Includes several photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Link to the Publisher’s website:  http://www.geographypublications.com/

 

An Aul’ Church in Aghowle

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Aghowle Church, Co. Wicklow

Creator / Author: Text and images by Chris Corlett

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 6p

When Published: September 2011

Publisher / Place of Publication: Archaeology Ireland / Media House, South County Business Park, Dublin 18.

About: This is a glossy A4 brochure which folds out to the equivalent of six A4-size pages. It is Number 54 in the Archaeology Ireland Heritage Guide Series. It is a profusely illustrated introduction to the remains of a twelfth-century church which the author indicates must have been “one of the largest rural parish churches of its day”. The site of the church was associated with St. Finnian, who flourished in the sixth-century.

ID number(s): None. The ID number 0790-892X printed on the brochure relates to the journal ‘Archaeology Ireland’.

Extra #1: includes several colour photographs, plus a plan, plus a map.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Read this publication online via JSTOR. [Personal registration / conditions apply]. Alternatively, your local public library may provide free online access to the publication.

Extra #5: View the entry for ‘Aghowle’ in the Placenames Database of Ireland.

Burgage Church History

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Burgage, County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Very Rev. Myles V. Ronan

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 13p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. XIII, No. 4, pp. 184-192

When Published: 1953

Publisher / Place of Publication: County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About:   This article is an ecclesiastical history of Burgage. Anciently known as Domhnach-Imleach and associated with Saint Molomma, its church was one of the four principal churches of the Diocese of Glendalough. The article starts with the oldest existing mention of the church in 1179 and continues up to the 1730’s. It covers the holdings of the church, sets it in the context of the history of the period and describes the remaining ruins. Interestingly, the author sees the silver lining in the cloud of Henry VII’s suppresson of religious houses. He reasons that the inquisitions into their possessions gives us much more information about them than would otherwise have survived.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

125 Years of Education in Blessington

Book Cover image

© St. Mary’s

Full title: A History of St. Mary’s National School Blessington: 125th anniversary 1882 – 2007.

Creator / Author: St. Mary’s National School

Item Type / Page count: Book / 159p

When Published: 2007

Publisher / Place of Publication: St. Mary’s National School/ Blessington, Co. Wicklow.

About: A book that is a commemoration of 125 years of teaching at the local primary school. It celebrates the history of the community as told through a compendium of short pieces brought to life by past and present pupils.

ID number(s):None

Contents: Chairman’s address – Principal’s address — Introduction – Forewords – Hedge schools / Larry McCorristine – The National School System / Larry McCorristine – Towards a new school: Blessington 1882 – Blessington Catholic Schools – A Lament for Allen View National School [ballad] / Pat ‘Phildy’ McGowan – An Interview with Mr. Frank Murphy – probably the oldest surviving pupil of St. Mary’s – “I learned nothing” / Frank Murphy – Pat Hanlon (aged 93 years), The Rundle, Knockieran – Bridie and Jane Tyrell – “Worse than Purgatory” / Evelyn Hudson – “Never missed a day” / Tom Tyrell – The Blessington Tram [ballad] / Peter C. Grattan – Sheila Walsh, née Boylan, aged 82 years – Billy Crowley – an interview – The Teaching of Religion in the National School – Parish Priests of Blessington Parish – The Church of Our Mother of Mercy / Beth Halligan — The Church of Our Lady of the Most Holy Sacrament / Beth Halligan – Seamus Dowling: the man from Mill House – School in the 1940’s – From Blessington to Baghdad / Joe Halligan – Hampden Bomber Crash Site Blackhill 1941 – Annie Byrne née Geoghegan, Burgage – “The Good Old Days” / Pete Nolan – The Primary Certificate – My Memories of St. Mary’s N.S. 1948-1949 / Ron Charles née Veronica Bohan — Knitting and Sewing – She Taught Them All / Vincent Byrne – Mrs. Elizabeth O’Donnell / Manus O’Donnell – Sean Davin, Principal of St. Mary’s N.S. from 1968-1996 – Memories of St. Mary’s National School, Blessington / Theresa Torsney née Creighton — Memoirs of St. Mary’s / Rena Hennessy – Willie Sargent Remembers – Blessington National School Parents Association – Darren McHugh – Schooldays in the 1980’s / Larissa Nolan – Gemma Ashe (R.I.P.) – Comórtas / Ciaran Duffy – Christy Casey – New Principal – Christy Casey (R.I.P.) – an appreciation – Lisa Frederick-Dunne (R.I.P) – Gerry Brown, Principal of St. Mary’s N.S., Blessington 1999-2007 – German in St. Mary’s 1995-2003 / Iris Rouse – Remembering St. Mary’s National School, Blessington 1995 to 2003 / Ellen Bytyqi, Naseem Nolan & Macha O’Donnell – Sport in St. Mary’s National School, Blessington / Lisa Smith – Turning the Sod / Gerry Brown – 125th Anniversary Mass and Unveiling of Commemorative Stone — St. Mary’s National School, Blessington, Co. Wicklow – List of teachers – Epilogue.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Contains dozens of black and white photographs, mainly of local people.

Seventh Collection of Articles on West Wicklow History

Cover image

© WWHS

Full title: Journal of the West Wicklow Historical Society: Number 7, 2013

Creator / Author: West Wicklow Historical Society & contributors, joint editors Chris Lawlor, Donal McDonnell

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 120p

When Published: 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: West Wicklow Historical Society / Baltinglass (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The seventh publication of a set of articles on aspects of West Wicklow history. This issue contains articles featuring locations from Coolattin to Croatia. It even strays into east Wicklow with an article on Charles Stewart Parnell and his times by Mary Bergin. However, the major article runs to almost a quarter of the entire publication and is a substantial essay, by Dunlavin native Chris Lawlor, on Feagh Mac Hugh O’Byrne.

ID number(s): 0790-1739

Contents: Preface from the Chairman — Ramblings of the Secretary — A man of integrity? The varying roles of Robert Chaloner, Earl Fitzwilliam’s land-agent during Black ‘47 / Fidelma Byrne — Contextualising a chieftain’s career: the case of Feagh Mac Hugh O’Byrne / Chris Lawlor – Wicklow Farm Labourers: a facet of the 1880s Land War / Pádraig G. Lane — The RIC and the IRA in Wicklow’s War of Independence / Kevin Cullen — Constable James Stephen Cunningham and his family / Shay Cunningham — Some facts about the activities of Mark Forstall in Croatia / Luka Vukusic – Scurlock’s Graveyard / Brian McCabe — The annual inspections of the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway Company in 1912 and 1913 / James Scannell — Donard’s New Church, 1925 [from the Leinster Leader Saturday, 18th July, 1925] — The Wicklow landlord who held sway over the British Empire: Parnell and his times / Mary Bergin — Raids, robberies and attacks: West Wicklow during the Civil War / Jason Lawlor.

Extra #1: Contains several black & white photographs and maps.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Deo Gratias for a Beautiful Church

Book cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Crosschapel through the years : a souvenir book celebrating 150th anniversary 1861-2011.

Creator / Author: Jim Corley

Item Type / Page count: Book / 27p

When Published: 2011

Publisher / Place of Publication: Church of Our Lady of Mercy / Crosschapel, Blessington, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.

About: The title says it all. This is a gorgeous and high-quality memento of the local church at Crosschapel. If only every congregation would produce such a record of their place of worship.

ID number(s): None

Chapters: Crosschapel — Burgage — The first Parish Priest — Rebellion of 1798 — The Chapel plans — List of Parish Priests — Derivation of names — Visitations by the Bishop — The Parochial House — The New Church — Repairs to the Church — A protected structure — Present day parishioners — Gallery of old photographs — Internal features — Christ of the Blessington Lakes.

WW Connection #1: A wholly local enterprise. Authored and printed in the parish of Blessington.

Extra #1: Contains illustrations on every page. Most are full colour.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Dedication of Knockananna Church

Cover image

Full title: Blessing and Opening  of the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Knockananna by His Lordship Most Reverend Dr. P. Lennon, Wednesday March 1st, 1978

Creator / Author: [Knockananna Church]

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 4p

When Published: 1978

Publisher / Place of Publication: [Knockananna Church] / Knockananna, Co. Wicklow.

About: A commemorative booklet which sets out the order of service for the Mass celebrating the opening of the local church in 1978.

ID number(s): None

Extra #1: Link to Knockananna Church information via the Hacketstown Parish website.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this booklet.

Gathering up Kiltegan History

Book cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Kiltegan : the Gathering 2013

Creator / Author: Kiltegan ‘Gathering’ Committee

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 56p

When Published: 2012

Publisher / Place of Publication: Kiltegan ‘Gathering’ Committee / Kiltegan, Co. Wicklow

About: A handsomely-produced booklet that uses ‘The Gathering Ireland 2013’ nationwide event as the focus for looking back at Kiltegan and aspects of its history. The booklet mainly contains short articles of 1-2 pages mostly written by Mary Hickson although several other people have contributed pieces as well.

ID number(s): None

WW Connection #1: Apart from the subject matter, the booklet was printed in Baltinglass.

Chapters: Kiltegan – your own place — Kiltegan Village  — Early Kiltegan — The Hume connection with Kiltegan — Kilranelagh – Talbotstown — Michael Dwyer — Bicentenary of Saint Peter’s Church, Kiltegan (1806-2006) — Church of the Assumption, Tynock — St. Brigid’s Church, Talbotstown — Naomh Treasa National School, Tynock — Scoil Naomh Bríd, Talbotstown — St. Peter’s National School, Kiltegan — Memories of walking home from Tynock School in the 1960’s — St. Patrick’s Missionary Society, High Park — Slí an Chroí — The Kiltegan Village People (listing those living 70-80 years ago, 50 years ago and 25 years ago) — Kiltegan Village Crossroads — Kiltegan GAA Club — Kiltegan Camogie Club — Two Great Gaels — Kiltegan ICA — St. Tegan’s Hall — Kiltegan Drama — Set Dancing — St. Peter’s Parish Centre — Hill walking in the Kiltegan area — Emigration from Kiltegan — The human face of the recession — ‘Gathering’ Calendar of events 2013 — Bibliography.

Extra #1: includes numerous full colour & black/white photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Ancient Landscape of Dunlavin / Donard

Cover image

© JRSAI

Creator / Author: Patrick T. Walshe

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 29p

Journal Information: Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Seventh Series, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 113-141

When Published: December 1931

Publisher / Place of Publication: R.S.A.I / Merrion Square, Dublin

About: A  substantial article on the archaeological remains to be found in this area of West Wicklow. The author divides the article into headings such as: Some notes on the early history of the district; Ancient battle sites; Tumuli, raths and moats; Dolmens and stone circles; Standing stones, bullaun stones and other antiquities.

ID number(s): 0035-9106

Extra #1: includes photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Read this article online via JSTOR. [Personal registration / conditions apply]. Alternatively, your local public library may provide free online access to this article.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~