West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Lacken”

Lighting Up Parts of West Wicklow

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Then there was light: stories powered by the rural electrification scheme in Ireland

Creator / Author: P.J. Cunningham and Joe Kearney (editors).

Item Type / Page count: Book / 248p

When Published: 2016

Publisher / Place of Publication: Ballpoint Press / 4 Wyndham Park, Bray, Co. Wicklow

About:  This book, which is dedicated to ‘all those who had a role in the electrification of rural Ireland’ goes behind the roll-out of the Rural Electrical Scheme. The editors have sought out personal eyewitness accounts and short stories based on the experiences of ordinary people throughout the countryside. Four of the chapters / stories are based in West Wicklow and feature Stratford-on-Slaney, Knockananna, Lacken and Carrigeen/Irongrange.

ID number(s): 9780995479319

Contents: [West Wicklow items only] “I Have Lived …” / Alo Brady — Night of the Long Count in a Wicklow Village / Con Foley — Oh For a Penny Ice Cream and the Smell of Creosote! / Mattie Lennon — Lighting on the Wall / Declan P. Gowran.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Link to the Publisher’s website at: http://www.ballpointpress.ie/

Advertisements

A Shepherd’s Stories

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Tales and Yarns of Glendalough and the Wicklow Hills: told to John D. Vose by Bill Fanning, shepherd of Glendalough

Creator / Author: Bill Fanning [with John D. Vose]

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 48p

When Published: 1986

Publisher / Place of Publication: Wicklow Hills Publishing Company / County Wicklow.

About: Bill Fanning was a native of Roundwood and a sheep farmer. He had a wealth of stories and legends relating to the Wicklow Mountains. This is a collection of some of the tales that he told to John D. Vose between 1956 and 1985. The stories have proved so popular that the booklet has gone into a second edition.

ID number(s): None

Chapters: Introducing the incorrigible Bill Fanning, shepherd of Glendalough — Fair days — Quare characters, tramps, tinkers and ‘chancers’ — Legends of St. Kevin – Childhood days — School days — Wakes and Missions — On the road to Lacken – Zellars O’Lacken – Wee folk, the Banshee and Will O’ the Wisp.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Households in Boystown Parish in middle of 19th century (2)

Book Cover image

Full title: Parish of Boystown

Creator / Author: Richard Griffith

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 10p

When Published: 1854

Publisher / Place of Publication: Alexander Thom and Sons for Her Majesty’s Stationary Office / 87 Abbey Street, Dublin.

Parent Publication [book]: County of Wicklow: valuation of the several tenements comprising that portion of the Union of Naas situate in the county above named / Richard Griffith, General Valuation Office / 27pp

About: The property tax system of 1850’s Ireland. It was the first major attempt at valuing property. This section lists householders in that part of the Parish of Boystown which is covered by the Poor Law Union of Naas. The remainder of the Parish of Boystown was within the area covered by the Poor Law Union of Baltinglass.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Ballinagee — Ballinahown — Ballyknockan — Ballynastockan — Ballynultagh — Boystown or Baltyboys Lower — Boystown or Baltyboys Upper — Carrig — Garryknock – Glenbride – Humphreystown – Kilbeg – Lackan – Lugnagroagh – Rathballylong – Sroughan — Tulfarris

Extra #1: Read the entries for GV Boystown Parish within Naas Union (pdf file).

Extra #2: Search Griffiths Valuation and link to contemporary maps at AskAboutIreland.ie

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Extra #5: Link to the blog post for the part of GV Boystown Parish within Baltinglass Union

Weaving Down the King’s River Valley

Book Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: Wool and Weaving in the Kings River Valley, County Wicklow: 1660’s to 1840s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 95p

When Published: March 2nd, 2016

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: The Quaker community based around Baltyboys were responsible for wool production in the area and supplied Dublin with this commodity. Later this enterprise developed into carding, spinning and weaving operations. In this substantial e-book publication, local author, John Hussey, details the almost 200-year history of wool and weaving in the King’s River Valley.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Author details – Notes — Acknowledgements – 1650 to 1699 – The wool and weaving industries in Ireland — 1699 to c.1740 – The Wool Act and rustication — c.1750 – Weaving and tuck mills — 1760s – Road improvements — 1760s to 1770s – Pirn/Warping mills — 1770s to 1790s – The commercial state of Co. Wicklow — 1798 – The United Irish Rebellion — 1800 to 1840s — The final decline and death of weaving – Epilogue – Appendix 1 – Valleymount and hat-making – Appendix 2 – Weaving in the town of Blessington and on the estate – Appendix 3 – Flax growing and linen weaving in Co. Wicklow – Appendix 4 – General Holt’s metal boilers.

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at Our Wicklow Heritage

Extra #2: Includes several maps, photographs and illustrations.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

Grave Slabs From Hollywood and Further Afield

Cover image

© JRSAI

Full title: The Hollywood Slabs: Some Late Medieval Grave Slabs from West Wicklow and Neighbouring Counties

Creator / Author: Christiaan Corlett

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 25p

Journal Information: Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Vol. 133, pp. 86-110

When Published: 2003

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland / 63 Merrion Square South, Dublin 2

About: The author first discovered this type of grave slab in Hollywood in West Wicklow. He coined the term ‘Hollywood Slabs’ to describe them, although there are now many more such slabs to be found outside of the Hollywood area. The slabs date from the medieval period and have distinctive characteristics. This article lists and describes all such slabs known to the author at the time of writing.

ID number(s): 0035-9106

Extra #1: includes five pages of black/white photographs and numerous illustrations.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Read this article online via JSTOR. [Personal registration / conditions apply]. Alternatively, your local public library may provide free online access to this article.

Extra #5: Visit the author’s website & blog

Extra #6: Link to the author’s page on Academia.edu

Extra #7: For an update to this article see the author’s blog entry

Memories Flooding Back

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Stories of the Flooded Valley

Creator / Author: St. Joseph Parish, Valleymount,

Item Type / Page count: Book / 80p

When Published: 2015

Publisher / Place of Publication: St. Joseph Parish, / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow

About: In March, 1940, the valley of the River Liffey began to be flooded as a result of the construction of the Poulaphuca Dam. This book marks the 75th anniversary of the event by collecting together the living memories of some of the people who lived through the traumatic transition from land to lake. All proceeds from the sale of this book go towards the St. Joseph’s Church, Valleymount Renovation Fund.

ID number(s): None

Contents: 75th anniversary of the flooding of the valley — The flooding / Billy Craul —The building of the dam at Poulaphuca / Davy Doyle (aged 94 years, Harristown,Hollywood) – Flooding of the lake 1940 remembered / Dick and Annie Byrne (now living at Burgage, Blessington) – I remember the valley before the water came / Earnest Zeller (Lacken) – I remember the flooding of the valley / Pat Cullen (The Rock of Carrigacurra) — John Joe Cullen’s memories / John Joe Cullen – Looking back on the flooding / Kathleen Phibbs – Mary Ann Flanagan aged 94 years old – My story of the flooding of the lake / Maisie Miley (Baltyboys) – Memories of the flooding of the lake / Michael Freeman (Ballyknockan) –Flooding of the valley / Ned Fitzsimons – My story / Teresa Byrne (Humphreystown) – Remembering the flooding of the lake / Tom Tyrell (92 year old, Blessington) – Song of Ballinahown (as sung by Ted Balfe, Kylebeg) – [Advertisers’ Section].

Extra #1: Includes around fifty black and white photographs of people and places.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

19th-Century Catholic Ancestors from Blackditches Parish

Full title: Blackditches, Archdiocese of Dublin, County of Wicklow

Creator / Author: The National Library of Ireland

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage URL: http://registers.nli.ie/

When Viewed: Contents described are those showing when viewed in October 2015.

Publisher / Place of Publication: National Library of Ireland / Kildare Street, Dublin 8.

About: The National Library of Ireland holds microfilm copies of over 3500 church registers from parishes in Ireland. The library has now digitised these registers as images which provide records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to around 1880. The available registers are not searchable by individual’s names. Instead, they are browseable by diocese, parish and date, searchable by parish and it is possible to zoom from a country map to parish level. This blog entry relates to the parish of Blackditches in West Wicklow.

Contents:  These registers cover baptisms and marriages from 1810 to 1881. Dates are indicative only and coverage may be incomplete. Please refer to the NLI site for specific coverage.

Extra #1: Browse the Catholic Parish Registers for Blackditches Parish

Hat-Tip: To The National Library of Ireland who have arranged for the digitisation of these records and their free accessibility online.

Well, What’s in a Name?

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Miscellanea. Father Germaine’s Well at Lackan, Parish of Boystown (alias Baltyboys), in the County Wicklow

Creator / Author: OMURETHI (pseudonym)

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 2p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V (Number 3), pp. 203-204

When Published: January 1907

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby, Dublin for County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About: This short piece recounts some of the stories that were associated with this well at the time of writing in 1907. Originally known as St. Boden’s Well, we find out how it came to be called Father Germaine’s Well, before being dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel around 1902.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2 Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: This article is summarised by Mattie Lennon in Valleymount. Facets of our Local History Part Three

Extra #4: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Booklet on Blackditches from 1906

Virtual Cover Image

[Virtual Cover]

Full title: Blackditches: its traditions and its pastors

Creator / Author: T. M. O’Reilly

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 13p

When Published: 1906

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Author and/or Leinster Leader Printing Works [?] / Naas, Co. Kildare.

About:  T. M. O’Reilly from Ballyknockan was a local councillor and writer with a great appreciation of local history. According to Fr. Cantwell of Valleymount, he produced several pamphlets. This booklet mentions old churches and houses of prayer as well as sites of historical or archaeological interest. The derivations of placenames is also featured. The second part of the booklet deals with the various priests who have ministered in the area.

ID number(s): None

Extra #1: Link to the full text of this booklet via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this booklet online.

Extra #3: Browse the 1901 Census return for the author Thomas O’Reilly.

Burgage Church History

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Burgage, County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Very Rev. Myles V. Ronan

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 13p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. XIII, No. 4, pp. 184-192

When Published: 1953

Publisher / Place of Publication: County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About:   This article is an ecclesiastical history of Burgage. Anciently known as Domhnach-Imleach and associated with Saint Molomma, its church was one of the four principal churches of the Diocese of Glendalough. The article starts with the oldest existing mention of the church in 1179 and continues up to the 1730’s. It covers the holdings of the church, sets it in the context of the history of the period and describes the remaining ruins. Interestingly, the author sees the silver lining in the cloud of Henry VII’s suppresson of religious houses. He reasons that the inquisitions into their possessions gives us much more information about them than would otherwise have survived.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~