West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Threecastles”

Households in Blessington Parish in middle of 19th century

Book Cover image

Full title: Parish of Blessington

Creator / Author: Richard Griffith

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / eDoc / 11p

When Published: 1853

Publisher / Place of Publication: Alexander Thom and Sons for Her Majesty’s Stationary Office / 87 & 88 Abbey Street, Dublin.

Parent Publication [book]: County of Wicklow: valuation of the several tenements comprising that portion of the Union of Naas situate in the county above named / Richard Griffith, General Valuation Office / 27pp

About: The property tax system of 1850’s Ireland. It was the first major attempt at valuing property. This section lists householders in the Parish of Blessington in West Wicklow, part of the area covered by the Poor Law Union of Naas in Co. Kildare.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Ballydonnell North — Ballydonnell South – Ballylow – Ballynabrocky — Ballynascullogue Lower — Ballynascullogue Upper – Ballynatona — Ballysmuttan Lower — Ballysmuttan Upper — Ballyward – Blackrock – Blessington — Town of Blessington (Main Street) — Town of Blessington (Kilbride Road) — Blessington Demesne – Butterhill – Crosscoolharbour – Deerpark – Dillonsdown – Edmondstown – Haylands – Hempstown – Holyvalley — Knockieran Lower — Knockieran Upper — Lugnagun Great — Lugnagun Little – Newpaddocks – Oldcourt – Oldpaddocks – Rathnabo – Santryhill – Threecastles.

Extra #1: Read the entries for GV Blessington Parish (pdf file).

Extra #2: Search Griffiths Valuation and link to contemporary maps at AskAboutIreland.ie

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Advertisements

Blessington Stones in Dublin

Cover image

© JSTOR

Full title: Granite as a building material in Dublin in the early eighteenth century

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 3p

Journal Information: History Ireland, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 18-20

When Published: November / December 2014

Publisher / Place of Publication: Wordwell Ltd. / Unit 9, 78 Furze Road, Sandyford, Dublin 18.

About: In this three-page article the author investigates when granite was first used as a building material in Dublin. He also traces the origin of this granite to the Woodend and Threecastles quarries in the Blessington area. Indeed the granite came to be referred to as ‘Blessington Stones’ in transactions of the time.

ID number(s): 0791-8224

Extra #1: includes photographs, an illustration and map.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Read this article online via JSTOR. [Personal registration / conditions apply]. Alternatively, your local public library may provide free online access to this article. Please note that the article may not be immediately available online.

Extra #5: Visit the magazine website at: http://www.historyireland.com/

Tithes Payable by Blessington Folk from 1833

Full title: Townlands in Blessington (Wicklow)

Creator / Author: Genealogical Society of Utah in partnership with The National Archives of Ireland

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage URL: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

When Viewed: Contents described are those showing when viewed in February 2014.

Publisher / Place of Publication: National Archives of Ireland / Bishop Street, Dublin 8.

About: Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in an attempt to determine how much the holders of agricultural land over 1 acre should pay in taxes or tithes to the established Church of Ireland. These books list the name of the head of each relevant household outside of urban areas. A Tithe Applotment book was compiled for each Church of Ireland parish. Some of the transcribed names of people and places are not 100% accurate, but the original entries may be viewed for clarification.

Contents: Ballydonnell – Ballylow – Ballynabrocky – Ballynatona – Ballynasculloge – Ballyward – Blackrock – Blessington — Blessington Demesne – Burgage – Burgage More – Burgage Moyle – Burgage Moyle Glashina – Burgage Moyle Russellstown – Butterhill – Crosscoolharbour – Deerpark – Dillonsdown – Edmondstown – Glashina — Haylands – Hempstown – Holyvalley – Lower Ballynasculloge — Lower Ballysmuttan — Lower Knockieran – Lugnagun — Merry Land – Oldcourt – Paddocks – Russborough – Russellstown – Santryhill — Threecastles and Goldenhill – Threecastles — Upper Ballynasculloge — Upper Ballysmuttan — Upper Knockieran.

Extra #1: Browse the Tithe Applotment Book(s) for Blessington Parish

Hat-Tip: To the Genealogical Society of Utah and The National Archives of Ireland who have arranged for the digitisation of these records and their free accessibility online.

First Collection of Lakeside Articles

Cover image

© BLHG

Full title: Journal of Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group

Creator / Author: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group / Blessington (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The inaugural publication of a set of articles on aspects of the history and heritage of areas that surround Blessington Lake. All articles are concise ranging from snippets to four and a half pages. Plans are already afoot for the next issue.

ID number(s): 9781908559906

Contents: Cover Photo: The Mace of the Corporation of Blessington, 1786 — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Members — Future issues of the journal — The Tassies of Threecastles / John Hussey — Early local headstones (based on a talk by Chris Corlett) — A stranger in Ireland (snippet) / John Carr — Fair day in Blessington / Seamus Balfe — Early-Medieval Mill-site at Burgage Mor / C.J. Darby — Members of Parliament for Blessington 1692-1800 — The sand pits at Blessington — A history of stonemasons / Andy Farrington — Local lime kilns / Aiden Cruise — “I done my bit for my country” / Tom Tyrell — Presentment Grants, Kildare Spring Assizes, 1882 / abstract by Aiden Cruise — Archaeological locations in Lakeside / Aiden Cruise — The Quaker burial-ground at Baltyboys / Maureen McCaw — The woollen mills, Ballymore-Eustace / Matt Purcell — A visit to Bishop Boden’s Well, Lacken, Sunday November 5th, 1978 / Seamus Balfe — The Dispensary Doctor / Fidelma Clearkin— Church of ‘Our Lady’ [from Irish Independent Friday, 31st May, 1946] — Summer visitors – by Tram [from Irish Independent Saturday, 17th August, 1912] — Public Notices [from Freemans Journal 24th August, 1921] — Threecastles and Burgage Castle / Dr. Brendan O’Riordain — Blessington is our town [poem] / Michael Farrington — Church records and Manor Kilbride graveyard survey / Blessington History Society — Kilbride Military Camp / courtesy of Pat Lavelle — Cures in the 1820s from Fr. Finney of Valleymount — Blessington Men’s Shed — Estate Maps of our district — The Liffey Bridges beat them all! — Back Cover Photo: The gravestone of Patrick Brady at Manor Kilbride, 1732

Extra #1: Contains black & white photographs, illustrations and plans.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group can be contacted via email @gmail.com. Use BlessingtonLakeside as the name.

Census of Blessington

National Archives logo

Full title: Townlands / Streets in Blessington (Wicklow)

Creator / Author: National Archives of Ireland

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage  URL: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

When Viewed: Contents correct as of December 2012.

Publisher / Place of Publication: National Archives of Ireland / Bishop Street, Dublin 8.

About: The Census returns for the Blessington District Electoral Division arranged alphabetically by townland. The 1901 census was taken on 31st March 1901. The 1911 census was taken on 2nd April 1911.

Contents: Ballydonnell — Ballylow — Ballynabrocky — Ballynasculloge — Ballynatona — Ballysmutton / Ballysmuttan — Ballyward — Blackrock — Blessington — Blessington Demesne — Blessington Town — Butterhill — Crosscoolharbour — Deerpark — Dillonsdown — Edmondstown — Haylands — Hempstown — Knockieran — Lugnagun — Oldcourt — Oldpaddocks — Rathnabo — Santryhill — Threecastles.

Extra #1: Browse the 1901 Census for Blessington DED

Extra #2: Browse the 1911 Census for Blessingon DED

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~