West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Tullow”

An Architect’s Legacy in Carlow

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Thomas A. Cobden, 1794-1842: An Architect in County Carlow

Creator / Author: Thomas McDonnell

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 28pp

When Published: 2008

Publisher / Place of Publication: Geography Publications / 24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W.

Parent Publication [book]: Carlow: history & society. Interdisciplinary essays on the history of an Irish county / edited by Thomas McGrath / 1070pp

About: This essay is an introduction to the life and works of the English-born architect, Thomas Cobden. Although not that well known to a wider audience, the author argues that the range and breath of his work in Carlow and its vicinity deserves more recognition.

ID number(s): 9780906602386

Contents Cobden’s life – Cobden’s works – Church buildings – Carlow Presbyterian Chapel – Killeshin Chapel – Carlow Cathedral – Presentation Convent Chapel – St. Mary’s Church, Carlow — Tullow Churches – St. Andrew’s Church, Bagenalstown — Borris Schoolhouse – Staplestown Church – Carlow Graig Chapel – Hacketstown Chapel – Down Cathedral – Carlow College – Other work – Exhibits at the R.A. and R.H.A. – Conclusion – Thomas Alfred Cobden: a chronological table – Acknowledgements – References.

WW Connection #1: The author, a Catholic priest, was a native of Baltinglass.

Extra #1: Includes several photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Link to the Publisher’s website:  http://www.geographypublications.com/

 

Advertisements

A Millennium and a Half of Tullow History

Book Cover image

© Geography Publications

Full title: Tullow – from Medieval Manor to Market Town

Creator / Author: Margaret Murphy

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 23pp

When Published: 2008

Publisher / Place of Publication: Geography Publications / 24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W.

Parent Publication [book]: Carlow: history & society. Interdisciplinary essays on the history of an Irish county / edited by Thomas McGrath / 1070pp

About: A history of Tullow in County Carlow from around the fifth century to beginning of the nineteenth century. In particular the article describes how Tullow survived the transition from a medieval manor to a thriving market town. The author cites the resilience of its people (both native and settler) as the defining characteristic of this period of its history.

ID number(s): 9780906602386

Contents Introduction – Before the Anglo-Normans – After the conquest – The castle and town – Parish church and friary – Mills and weirs – Demesne lands – Tenants — The fourteenth to sixteenth centuries – The post-medieval period — Conclusions – Acknowledgements – Appendix 1: Account of Walter Miller of the ward of Tullow from Tuesday after Michaelmas in the 13th year of King Edward to Michaelmas in the 14th year of King Edward that is for three terms [1265-6] — References.

WW Connection #1: The Manor of Tullow would have extended into parts of West Wicklow such as the areas around Rathgall and Aghowle.

WW Connection #2: The author is a native of Baltinglass.

Extra #1: Includes three maps and two other illustrations.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Link to the Publisher’s website:  http://www.geographypublications.com/

A Little Miscellany of Things and Times Past #2

Cover image

© JCKAS

Full title: West County Wicklow Notes

Creator / Author: C. M. Drury

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 7p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V, No. 8, pp. 325-331

When Published: January 1908

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby / 116 Grafton Street, Dublin.

About:   The author provides another miscellaneous collection of observations and information about areas in West Wicklow and East Carlow ranging from Baltinglass to Rathvilly to Tullow, Clonmore, Hacketstown and Kiltegan.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: includes small illustrations of the gateway at Fortgranite and the bridge at Rathvilly.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Browse the 1901 Census entry for the author of this article.

Extra #5: Browse the 1911 Census entry for the author of this article.

Extra #6: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~