West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Ballinahown”

Households in Boystown Parish in middle of 19th century (2)

Book Cover image

Full title: Parish of Boystown

Creator / Author: Richard Griffith

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 10p

When Published: 1854

Publisher / Place of Publication: Alexander Thom and Sons for Her Majesty’s Stationary Office / 87 Abbey Street, Dublin.

Parent Publication [book]: County of Wicklow: valuation of the several tenements comprising that portion of the Union of Naas situate in the county above named / Richard Griffith, General Valuation Office / 27pp

About: The property tax system of 1850’s Ireland. It was the first major attempt at valuing property. This section lists householders in that part of the Parish of Boystown which is covered by the Poor Law Union of Naas. The remainder of the Parish of Boystown was within the area covered by the Poor Law Union of Baltinglass.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Ballinagee — Ballinahown — Ballyknockan — Ballynastockan — Ballynultagh — Boystown or Baltyboys Lower — Boystown or Baltyboys Upper — Carrig — Garryknock – Glenbride – Humphreystown – Kilbeg – Lackan – Lugnagroagh – Rathballylong – Sroughan — Tulfarris

Extra #1: Read the entries for GV Boystown Parish within Naas Union (pdf file).

Extra #2: Search Griffiths Valuation and link to contemporary maps at AskAboutIreland.ie

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Extra #5: Link to the blog post for the part of GV Boystown Parish within Baltinglass Union

Advertisements

Weaving Down the King’s River Valley

Book Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: Wool and Weaving in the Kings River Valley, County Wicklow: 1660’s to 1840s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 95p

When Published: March 2nd, 2016

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: The Quaker community based around Baltyboys were responsible for wool production in the area and supplied Dublin with this commodity. Later this enterprise developed into carding, spinning and weaving operations. In this substantial e-book publication, local author, John Hussey, details the almost 200-year history of wool and weaving in the King’s River Valley.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Author details – Notes — Acknowledgements – 1650 to 1699 – The wool and weaving industries in Ireland — 1699 to c.1740 – The Wool Act and rustication — c.1750 – Weaving and tuck mills — 1760s – Road improvements — 1760s to 1770s – Pirn/Warping mills — 1770s to 1790s – The commercial state of Co. Wicklow — 1798 – The United Irish Rebellion — 1800 to 1840s — The final decline and death of weaving – Epilogue – Appendix 1 – Valleymount and hat-making – Appendix 2 – Weaving in the town of Blessington and on the estate – Appendix 3 – Flax growing and linen weaving in Co. Wicklow – Appendix 4 – General Holt’s metal boilers.

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at Our Wicklow Heritage

Extra #2: Includes several maps, photographs and illustrations.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

Memories Flooding Back

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Stories of the Flooded Valley

Creator / Author: St. Joseph Parish, Valleymount,

Item Type / Page count: Book / 80p

When Published: 2015

Publisher / Place of Publication: St. Joseph Parish, / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow

About: In March, 1940, the valley of the River Liffey began to be flooded as a result of the construction of the Poulaphuca Dam. This book marks the 75th anniversary of the event by collecting together the living memories of some of the people who lived through the traumatic transition from land to lake. All proceeds from the sale of this book go towards the St. Joseph’s Church, Valleymount Renovation Fund.

ID number(s): None

Contents: 75th anniversary of the flooding of the valley — The flooding / Billy Craul —The building of the dam at Poulaphuca / Davy Doyle (aged 94 years, Harristown,Hollywood) – Flooding of the lake 1940 remembered / Dick and Annie Byrne (now living at Burgage, Blessington) – I remember the valley before the water came / Earnest Zeller (Lacken) – I remember the flooding of the valley / Pat Cullen (The Rock of Carrigacurra) — John Joe Cullen’s memories / John Joe Cullen – Looking back on the flooding / Kathleen Phibbs – Mary Ann Flanagan aged 94 years old – My story of the flooding of the lake / Maisie Miley (Baltyboys) – Memories of the flooding of the lake / Michael Freeman (Ballyknockan) –Flooding of the valley / Ned Fitzsimons – My story / Teresa Byrne (Humphreystown) – Remembering the flooding of the lake / Tom Tyrell (92 year old, Blessington) – Song of Ballinahown (as sung by Ted Balfe, Kylebeg) – [Advertisers’ Section].

Extra #1: Includes around fifty black and white photographs of people and places.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Tithes Payable by Boystown Folk from 1834

Full title: Townlands in Boystown (Wicklow)

Creator / Author: Genealogical Society of Utah in partnership with The National Archives of Ireland

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage URL: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

When Viewed: Contents described are those showing when viewed in June 2014.

Publisher / Place of Publication: National Archives of Ireland / Bishop Street, Dublin 8.

About: Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in an attempt to determine how much the holders of agricultural land over 1 acre should pay in taxes or tithes to the established Church of Ireland. These books list the name of the head of each relevant household outside of urban areas. A Tithe Applotment book was compiled for each Church of Ireland parish. Some of the transcribed names of people and places are not 100% accurate, but the original entries may be viewed for clarification.

Contents: Annacarney – Ballyknockan – Ballinagee – Ballinahown – Ballynastockan – Ballynultagh — Baltyboys Lower — Baltyboys Upper – Bannaught (sic) Bawnoge (?) — Blackditches Lower — Blackditches Upper – Blackmoor — Blackmoor Hill – Carrig – Carrickbrack – Carrigacurra (including Quintagh) – Cross – Garryknock – Glenbride — Granabeg Lower — Granabeg Upper – Humphrystown – Kilbeg — Kilbeg North — Kilbeg South — Knockalt Lower — Knockalt Upper – Cransillagh – Lackan – Monamuck – Quintagh — The Breeches — The Cross – Togher – Tulfarris.

Extra #1: Browse the Tithe Applotment Book(s) for Boystown Parish

Hat-Tip: To the Genealogical Society of Utah and The National Archives of Ireland who have arranged for the digitisation of these records and their free accessibility online.

What Lies Beneath

Reservoir

© The Publisher

Full title: Beneath the Poulaphuca reservoir: the 1939 Poulaphuca survey of the lands flooded by the Liffey reservoir scheme

Creator / Author: Christiaan Corlett (editor)

Item Type / Page count: Book / 352p

When Published:  2008

Publisher / Place of Publication: Stationery Office, Dublin.

About: A handsome and comprehensive presentation of the results of a survey that took place in 1939 of the lands that were soon to be flooded forever to create the Poulaphuca Reservoir.  The editor brings to light for the first time the maps, photographs, folklore and recollections of an area now submerged.

ID number(s): 0755776062 / 9780755776061

Chapters: Preface — Introducion — Poulaphuca area — Origins of the Liffey Reservoir Scheme — The Poulaphuca Survey — Significance of the survey — Conclusion — Editor’s Note — The Survey: Areas A to G — Appendix1: Archaeological investigations — Appendix 2: Acquisitions by the National Museum of Ireland — Appendix 3: Burgage Graveyard — Appendix 4: Burgage Burial Register — Appendix 5: Sources of the material collected during the Poulaphuca Survey — Appendix 6: An account of the Irish Army engineers blowing up Blessington Bridge — Index.

Extra #1: includes many photographs, maps and illustrations.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

First Collection of Articles on West Wicklow History

Cover image

© WWHS

Full title: Journal of the West Wicklow Historical Society: Number 1, 1983-1984

Creator / Author: West Wicklow Historical Society & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 95p

When Published: 1983 /4

Publisher / Place of Publication: West Wicklow Historical Society / Baltinglass (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The very first publication of a set of articles on aspects of West Wicklow history. This issue covers locations from Lacken to Coolattin with contributions from natives of the area and from local schoolchildren.

ID number(s): 0790-1739

Contents: West Wicklow Historical Society Officials 1983 — Honorary Life Members of WWHS — Editorial — West Wicklow Historical News / Gerorda Quaid — The Tullow line / Cora Crampton — Tales from a drowned land / Martin J. Kelly — Notes on Golden Fort and the Saunders family / Geoffrey Marescaux de Saubruit — A Saunders elopement / Geoffrey Marescaux de Saubruit — Baltinglass Convent / Sister Therese Morrissey — Wicklow Biographies: Brandubh / Paul Gorry — Wicklow Biographies: St. Kevin / Maria Brosnan — Wicklow Biographies: St. Laurence O’Toole / Dorothy Leonard — Wicklow Biographies: Walter de Riddelesford / Dorothy Leonard — The Family of Michael Dwyer / Paul Gorry — Linen and Cotton Printing at Stratford-on-Slaney, County Wicklow (Part 1) / Paul Baker — A visit to Knockpatrick Hill / Dorothy Leonard — God’s Acre: Burial-Ground, Chapel Hill, Baltinglass / Sister Therese Morrissey — St. Mary’s Church and Rectory past and present / Verena Wilson — V. Rev. Dr. Denis Kane, P.P., V.G. (1822-1883) / Sister Therese Morrissey— Parish of Ballymore-Eustace, 1791 / William Hawks — The Valentine Family (Part 1) / Paul Gorry & Anthony E. S. Valentine — Another life / Maria Brosnan — The chapel at Kilamoate [poem]  / Tom Kelly — Index to the Coolattin Estate emigration records, 1847-56 / Paul Gorry — Extracts from the Turtle manuscripts — Query — Junior Section: Baltinglass G.A.A. club during the years / Laura Wall — Junior Section: Local History / Bernadette Keogh — Junior Section: The Georgian / Marina Doyle — Junior Section: Baltinglass Hill Cairn / Kieran McMahon — Junior Section: Rev. Marchbanks / Ashley Bourne — Junior Section: Blessington in the 15th century / Kay Tutty — Junior Section: The Rectory- Baltinglass / Andrea Wilson.

Extra #1: Contains some black & white photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The official blog of Ed Mooney Photography. Dad of 3, Photographer, Martial Artist, Gym Rat & Blogger. Exploring the historical sites of Ireland.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~