West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Baltyboys”

The ‘Friends’ in Baltyboys (2)

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: The Quakers of Baltyboys, County Wicklow, 1678 to 1800s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: Book / 56p

When Published: July 2017

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Historical Committee of the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland / Quaker House, Stocking Lane, Dublin 16 D16 V3F8

About: This is a history of the Quaker community which settled in the valley of the King’s River in West Wicklow. Also known as ‘The Religious Society of Friends’, The Quakers were heavily involved in the woollen and textile industry. Appendices to the main text include individual family details and a brief explanation of Quaker origins. This book was originally published as an eBook on the author’s website in 2015.

ID number(s): 9781911345565

Contents: Preface – Acknowledgements – Foreword / Christopher Moriarty – Ballymore-Eustace, the gateway to West  Wicklow — Baltyboys — The  Quakers’ move to Ireland — The founding of Blessington ‘New Town’ – Visits by important Quakers to Dublin — Peter Peisley’s move to Baltyboys — The first Quaker lease at Baltyboys, 1678 — The role of the early Quakers at Baltyboys — The rationale for Quakers to settle at Baltyboys—Connections of the Baltyboys Quakers with Dublin — William Lappam’s refusal to pay tithes — Anthony Sharp’s visit to Blessington — Quaker settlement beyond Baltyboys — Other Protestant settlers of the early 1700s — Quaker weaving activities at Baltyboys – Disownments – Quaker Families at Baltyboys in 1791 — Peisleys replaced by Radcliffes – The 1798 Rebellion — Quaker Migration into the Church of Ireland — After the Quakers – Appendices: 1. The ‘Religious Society of Friends’ – 2.The Quaker meeting house and graveyard at Baltyboys – 3. Notes on individual Quaker families of Baltyboys – 4. Other family names.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Includes two maps.

Extra #4: Link to the Quakers in Ireland website.

Extra #5: Link to the author’s website.

Extra #6: Link to the author’s page on Academia.edu

Advertisements

Households in Boystown Parish in middle of 19th century (2)

Book Cover image

Full title: Parish of Boystown

Creator / Author: Richard Griffith

Item Type / Page count: Book Chapter / 10p

When Published: 1854

Publisher / Place of Publication: Alexander Thom and Sons for Her Majesty’s Stationary Office / 87 Abbey Street, Dublin.

Parent Publication [book]: County of Wicklow: valuation of the several tenements comprising that portion of the Union of Naas situate in the county above named / Richard Griffith, General Valuation Office / 27pp

About: The property tax system of 1850’s Ireland. It was the first major attempt at valuing property. This section lists householders in that part of the Parish of Boystown which is covered by the Poor Law Union of Naas. The remainder of the Parish of Boystown was within the area covered by the Poor Law Union of Baltinglass.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Ballinagee — Ballinahown — Ballyknockan — Ballynastockan — Ballynultagh — Boystown or Baltyboys Lower — Boystown or Baltyboys Upper — Carrig — Garryknock – Glenbride – Humphreystown – Kilbeg – Lackan – Lugnagroagh – Rathballylong – Sroughan — Tulfarris

Extra #1: Read the entries for GV Boystown Parish within Naas Union (pdf file).

Extra #2: Search Griffiths Valuation and link to contemporary maps at AskAboutIreland.ie

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Extra #5: Link to the blog post for the part of GV Boystown Parish within Baltinglass Union

Weaving Down the King’s River Valley

Book Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: Wool and Weaving in the Kings River Valley, County Wicklow: 1660’s to 1840s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 95p

When Published: March 2nd, 2016

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: The Quaker community based around Baltyboys were responsible for wool production in the area and supplied Dublin with this commodity. Later this enterprise developed into carding, spinning and weaving operations. In this substantial e-book publication, local author, John Hussey, details the almost 200-year history of wool and weaving in the King’s River Valley.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Author details – Notes — Acknowledgements – 1650 to 1699 – The wool and weaving industries in Ireland — 1699 to c.1740 – The Wool Act and rustication — c.1750 – Weaving and tuck mills — 1760s – Road improvements — 1760s to 1770s – Pirn/Warping mills — 1770s to 1790s – The commercial state of Co. Wicklow — 1798 – The United Irish Rebellion — 1800 to 1840s — The final decline and death of weaving – Epilogue – Appendix 1 – Valleymount and hat-making – Appendix 2 – Weaving in the town of Blessington and on the estate – Appendix 3 – Flax growing and linen weaving in Co. Wicklow – Appendix 4 – General Holt’s metal boilers.

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at Our Wicklow Heritage

Extra #2: Includes several maps, photographs and illustrations.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

The ‘Friends’ in Baltyboys (1)

Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: The Quakers of Baltyboys, County Wicklow: 1678 to 1800s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 44p

When Published: 2015 (Second edition March 7th, 2016)

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: This is a history of the Quaker community which settled in the valley of the King’s River in West Wicklow. Also known as ‘The Religious Society of Friends’, The Quakers were heavily involved in the woollen and textile industry. Appendices to the main text include individual family details and a brief explanation of Quaker origins.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Acknowledgements — Ballymore, the gateway to west  Wicklow — Baltyboys — The  Quakers’ move to Ireland — Events of 1669 – 1671 – Peter Peisley’s move to Baltyboys — The founding of the ‘New Town’ of Blessington – The rationale for Quakers to settle at Baltyboys — Visits by important Quakers to Dublin — The role of the early Quakers at Baltyboys — The first Quaker lease at Baltyboys, 1678 — Connections with Dublin – Anthony Sharp — William Lappam’s refusal to pay tithes — Anthony Sharp’s visit to Blessington — Quaker settlement beyond Baltyboys — Other Protestant settlers of the early 1700s — Quaker weaving activities at Baltyboys – Disownments – Peisleys replaced by Radcliffes – The 1798 Rebellion — Migration of Quakers into the Church of Ireland — After the Quakers – Appendix 1: The ‘Religious Society of Friends’ – Appendix 2: The Quaker meeting house and graveyard at Baltyboys – Appendix 3: Notes on individual Quaker families of Baltyboys

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Includes two maps.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

Extra #4: Link to the author’s page on Academia.edu

**UPDATE** The author’s website (viewed October 2017) states: “My book on the Quakers of Baltyboys has been published by the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland….. July 2017”

Memories Flooding Back

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Stories of the Flooded Valley

Creator / Author: St. Joseph Parish, Valleymount,

Item Type / Page count: Book / 80p

When Published: 2015

Publisher / Place of Publication: St. Joseph Parish, / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow

About: In March, 1940, the valley of the River Liffey began to be flooded as a result of the construction of the Poulaphuca Dam. This book marks the 75th anniversary of the event by collecting together the living memories of some of the people who lived through the traumatic transition from land to lake. All proceeds from the sale of this book go towards the St. Joseph’s Church, Valleymount Renovation Fund.

ID number(s): None

Contents: 75th anniversary of the flooding of the valley — The flooding / Billy Craul —The building of the dam at Poulaphuca / Davy Doyle (aged 94 years, Harristown,Hollywood) – Flooding of the lake 1940 remembered / Dick and Annie Byrne (now living at Burgage, Blessington) – I remember the valley before the water came / Earnest Zeller (Lacken) – I remember the flooding of the valley / Pat Cullen (The Rock of Carrigacurra) — John Joe Cullen’s memories / John Joe Cullen – Looking back on the flooding / Kathleen Phibbs – Mary Ann Flanagan aged 94 years old – My story of the flooding of the lake / Maisie Miley (Baltyboys) – Memories of the flooding of the lake / Michael Freeman (Ballyknockan) –Flooding of the valley / Ned Fitzsimons – My story / Teresa Byrne (Humphreystown) – Remembering the flooding of the lake / Tom Tyrell (92 year old, Blessington) – Song of Ballinahown (as sung by Ted Balfe, Kylebeg) – [Advertisers’ Section].

Extra #1: Includes around fifty black and white photographs of people and places.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Booklet on Blackditches from 1906

Virtual Cover Image

[Virtual Cover]

Full title: Blackditches: its traditions and its pastors

Creator / Author: T. M. O’Reilly

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 13p

When Published: 1906

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Author and/or Leinster Leader Printing Works [?] / Naas, Co. Kildare.

About:  T. M. O’Reilly from Ballyknockan was a local councillor and writer with a great appreciation of local history. According to Fr. Cantwell of Valleymount, he produced several pamphlets. This booklet mentions old churches and houses of prayer as well as sites of historical or archaeological interest. The derivations of placenames is also featured. The second part of the booklet deals with the various priests who have ministered in the area.

ID number(s): None

Extra #1: Link to the full text of this booklet via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this booklet online.

Extra #3: Browse the 1901 Census return for the author Thomas O’Reilly.

Burgage Church History

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Burgage, County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Very Rev. Myles V. Ronan

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 13p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. XIII, No. 4, pp. 184-192

When Published: 1953

Publisher / Place of Publication: County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About:   This article is an ecclesiastical history of Burgage. Anciently known as Domhnach-Imleach and associated with Saint Molomma, its church was one of the four principal churches of the Diocese of Glendalough. The article starts with the oldest existing mention of the church in 1179 and continues up to the 1730’s. It covers the holdings of the church, sets it in the context of the history of the period and describes the remaining ruins. Interestingly, the author sees the silver lining in the cloud of Henry VII’s suppresson of religious houses. He reasons that the inquisitions into their possessions gives us much more information about them than would otherwise have survived.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Tithes Payable by Boystown Folk from 1834

Full title: Townlands in Boystown (Wicklow)

Creator / Author: Genealogical Society of Utah in partnership with The National Archives of Ireland

Item Type: Website / Publicly Accessible

Homepage URL: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

When Viewed: Contents described are those showing when viewed in June 2014.

Publisher / Place of Publication: National Archives of Ireland / Bishop Street, Dublin 8.

About: Tithe Applotment Books were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in an attempt to determine how much the holders of agricultural land over 1 acre should pay in taxes or tithes to the established Church of Ireland. These books list the name of the head of each relevant household outside of urban areas. A Tithe Applotment book was compiled for each Church of Ireland parish. Some of the transcribed names of people and places are not 100% accurate, but the original entries may be viewed for clarification.

Contents: Annacarney – Ballyknockan – Ballinagee – Ballinahown – Ballynastockan – Ballynultagh — Baltyboys Lower — Baltyboys Upper – Bannaught (sic) Bawnoge (?) — Blackditches Lower — Blackditches Upper – Blackmoor — Blackmoor Hill – Carrig – Carrickbrack – Carrigacurra (including Quintagh) – Cross – Garryknock – Glenbride — Granabeg Lower — Granabeg Upper – Humphrystown – Kilbeg — Kilbeg North — Kilbeg South — Knockalt Lower — Knockalt Upper – Cransillagh – Lackan – Monamuck – Quintagh — The Breeches — The Cross – Togher – Tulfarris.

Extra #1: Browse the Tithe Applotment Book(s) for Boystown Parish

Hat-Tip: To the Genealogical Society of Utah and The National Archives of Ireland who have arranged for the digitisation of these records and their free accessibility online.

The Wicklow Weirdstone

Cover image

© JSTOR

Full title: A Curious Stone

Creator / Author: Martin Reid

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 2pp

Journal Information: Archaeology Ireland, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 24-25

When Published: Summer 2010

Publisher / Place of Publication: Wordwell Ltd. / Unit 9, 78 Furze Road, Sandyford, Dublin 18.

About: A short article describing a small strange palm-sized stone picked up from the shores of Poulaphuca during a period of low water levels. The author calls it the ‘Weirdstone of Wicklow’. Is it carved by a human hand or could it be the actions of the Pooka?  The author is open to all suggestions.

ID number(s): 0035-9106

Extra #1: Includes a full page colour photograph.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Read this article online via JSTOR. [Personal registration / conditions apply]. Alternatively, your local public library may provide free online access to this article.

Steps in a Dancer’s Life

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Step by step: the formation of an establishment

Creator / Author: Ninette de Valois

Item Type / Page count: Book / 204p

When Published: 1977

Publisher / Place of Publication: W. H. Allen & Co. Ltd. / 44 Hill Street, London W1X 8LB.

About: A collection of published and unpublished articles, essays and other writings all of which have ballet as their theme. The author was the founder of Britain’s Royal Ballet and spent over thirty years as its director.

ID number(s): 0491015984

Contents: Prologue – Introduction – [Phase I – The 1920s and the 1930s] The traveller: a pupil and her teachers — The formation of an establishment: Life at ‘the Wells’ — Lilian Baylis — Extracts from ‘Invitation to the ballet’  — A tribute to the Mercury Theatre — [Phase II – The 1940s and the 1950s] Five architects of the ballet: Constant Lambert, Frederick Ashton, Robert Helpmann, Margot Fonteyn, Sophie Fedorovitch — The Royal Charter: a memorandum — The English Ballet: a lecture to the Royal Society of Arts, 1957 — [Phase III – The 1960s and the 1970s] Gemini: two studies — John Cranko — Kenneth MacMillan — The stranger in our midst: a portrait of Nureyev — Choreography — Movements — [Impressions] A visit to Russia: 1957 — The Turkish State Ballet — Diaghilev — W. B. Yeats — What makes a dancer’s life — Epilogue — Index.

WW Connection #1: Ninette de Valois (née Edris Stannus) was born at Baltyboys, Blessington, Co.Wicklow in 1898. The family moved to England in 1905.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Contains thirty-two pages of photographs.

Extra #4: For information, the author was awarded the Erasmus Prize in 1974 for her contribution to European culture.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~