West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Holy Wells”

Well, What’s in a Name?

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Miscellanea. Father Germaine’s Well at Lackan, Parish of Boystown (alias Baltyboys), in the County Wicklow

Creator / Author: OMURETHI (pseudonym)

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 2p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V (Number 3), pp. 203-204

When Published: January 1907

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby, Dublin for County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About: This short piece recounts some of the stories that were associated with this well at the time of writing in 1907. Originally known as St. Boden’s Well, we find out how it came to be called Father Germaine’s Well, before being dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel around 1902.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2 Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: This article is summarised by Mattie Lennon in Valleymount. Facets of our Local History Part Three

Extra #4: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Advertisements

Booklet on Blackditches from 1906

Virtual Cover Image

[Virtual Cover]

Full title: Blackditches: its traditions and its pastors

Creator / Author: T. M. O’Reilly

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 13p

When Published: 1906

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Author and/or Leinster Leader Printing Works [?] / Naas, Co. Kildare.

About:  T. M. O’Reilly from Ballyknockan was a local councillor and writer with a great appreciation of local history. According to Fr. Cantwell of Valleymount, he produced several pamphlets. This booklet mentions old churches and houses of prayer as well as sites of historical or archaeological interest. The derivations of placenames is also featured. The second part of the booklet deals with the various priests who have ministered in the area.

ID number(s): None

Extra #1: Link to the full text of this booklet via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this booklet online.

Extra #3: Browse the 1901 Census return for the author Thomas O’Reilly.

First Collection of Lakeside Articles

Cover image

© BLHG

Full title: Journal of Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group

Creator / Author: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group / Blessington (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The inaugural publication of a set of articles on aspects of the history and heritage of areas that surround Blessington Lake. All articles are concise ranging from snippets to four and a half pages. Plans are already afoot for the next issue.

ID number(s): 9781908559906

Contents: Cover Photo: The Mace of the Corporation of Blessington, 1786 — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Members — Future issues of the journal — The Tassies of Threecastles / John Hussey — Early local headstones (based on a talk by Chris Corlett) — A stranger in Ireland (snippet) / John Carr — Fair day in Blessington / Seamus Balfe — Early-Medieval Mill-site at Burgage Mor / C.J. Darby — Members of Parliament for Blessington 1692-1800 — The sand pits at Blessington — A history of stonemasons / Andy Farrington — Local lime kilns / Aiden Cruise — “I done my bit for my country” / Tom Tyrell — Presentment Grants, Kildare Spring Assizes, 1882 / abstract by Aiden Cruise — Archaeological locations in Lakeside / Aiden Cruise — The Quaker burial-ground at Baltyboys / Maureen McCaw — The woollen mills, Ballymore-Eustace / Matt Purcell — A visit to Bishop Boden’s Well, Lacken, Sunday November 5th, 1978 / Seamus Balfe — The Dispensary Doctor / Fidelma Clearkin— Church of ‘Our Lady’ [from Irish Independent Friday, 31st May, 1946] — Summer visitors – by Tram [from Irish Independent Saturday, 17th August, 1912] — Public Notices [from Freemans Journal 24th August, 1921] — Threecastles and Burgage Castle / Dr. Brendan O’Riordain — Blessington is our town [poem] / Michael Farrington — Church records and Manor Kilbride graveyard survey / Blessington History Society — Kilbride Military Camp / courtesy of Pat Lavelle — Cures in the 1820s from Fr. Finney of Valleymount — Blessington Men’s Shed — Estate Maps of our district — The Liffey Bridges beat them all! — Back Cover Photo: The gravestone of Patrick Brady at Manor Kilbride, 1732

Extra #1: Contains black & white photographs, illustrations and plans.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group can be contacted via email @gmail.com. Use BlessingtonLakeside as the name.

A Fourth Valleymount Compendium

© The Publisher

© The Publisher

Full title: Valleymount. Facets of our Local History (Part IV: the unpublished volume, added May 2013 by John Hussey)

Creator / Author: John Hussey & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / eBook / 39p

When Published: [Posted online] May 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: [Parish of Valleymount / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow].

About: This is the last of four collections (so far) of local history material which was first published separately in various issues of the Valleymount Parish News. This last issue was never made available as such. Rather, John Hussey has gathered together various pieces that were mostly not already included in the first three volumes to make up a virtual fourth volume of material. The major article here recounts an altar boy’s memories of local parish priest, Fr. John Moynihan.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Teacher’s Residence, Lacken / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Death of Fr. Heffernan P.P [taken from Leinster Leader] – Ballyknockan National Brass and Reed Band [taken from Leinster Leader] – “Dip me Flute” / Mattie Lennon – Valleymount I.C.A. / Tess Curran – The Coal Pit / Mattie Lennon – Bishop Boden’s Well Lacken, Sunday November 5th 1978 / Fr. Richard Cantwell  – School in Lacken in the nineteen hundreds / Mattie Lennon — Parish Properties – Community Centre / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Renovation of the old Parochial House / Fr. Richard Cantwell — The Irish Journals of Elizabeth Smith, 1840-1850, edited for us by Mattie Lennon – Rerum Novarum: Memories of Fr. John Moynihan / Michael O’Brien (a Valleymount altar boy of many years ago) — A few historical notes from 150 years ago / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Matt Reid / Fr. Richard Cantwell – The Punchestown Races (in memory of Pa O’Brien) / Michael O’Brien – A few little details of Boystown gleaned from the census of 1841 / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Old names of fields in our parish / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Stone trough in Baltyboys cemetery / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Baltyboys House — Irish Folklore Commission – Local Weather Observations / Maggie Broe.

Extra #1: Link to the full text of this magazine via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this magazine online

A Third Valleymount Compendium

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Valleymount. Facets of our Local History Part Three

Creator / Author: Fr. Richard Cantwell (editor) & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Magazine (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: Easter 1993

Publisher / Place of Publication: Parish of Valleymount / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow.

About: This is the third of four collections of local history material which was first published separately in various issues of the Valleymount Parish News. It covers areas such as Lacken, Baltyboys, Blessington, Poulaphuca and Valleymount. About one-third of this issue is taken up with an article about the various parish priests that have served in the parish. The publication is photocopied rather than printed and the quality of reproduction reflects this.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Cover drawing: The Church — Bronze Age cemetery at Carrig, Co. Wicklow / Eoin Grogan — Snippets from ‘Leinster Leader’ – Balfe-the-Robber or Cock-a-Hoof / Fr. Richard Cantwell  – “A hoor of a flood” / Mattie Lennon — Lacken Well / Mattie Lennon — School in Lacken in the nineteen-hundreds / Mattie Lennon — Snippets from ‘Leinster Leader’ – Highway robbery at the Tollhouse — Boyce Oh Boyce / Matty Lennon – Saint Patrick stood at Burgage Bridge / Matty Lennon – Light in Lacken / Mattie Lennon – E.S.B. installations at Lacken / Mattie Lennon — Ninety eight in Kilbeg / Mattie Lennon — Lines by a local poet on the funeral of Fr. Rowan [poem] – The bonfire stones / Mattie Lennon — The January fair / Matty Lennon — The Irish Journals of Elizabeth Smith, 1840-1850, edited for us by Mattie Lennon — Griffith’s Valuation Parish of Boystown [reproduction] – History of our former Parish Priests / Fr. Richard Cantwell.

Extra #1: Contains illustrations and reproduction photographs throughout the text.

Extra #2: Link to the full text of this magazine via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #3: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this magazine online

Archaeological Allsorts

Book cover image

© Government of Ireland

Full title: Archaeological Inventory of County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Compiled by Eoin Grogan and Annaba Kilfeather

Item Type / Page count: Book / 258pp

When Published: 1997

Publisher / Place of Publication: Stationery Office / Dublin.

About: This book is part of a series produced by the Archaeological Survey of Ireland, which aims to list all known archaeological monuments in each county. This Wicklow catalogue alone lists 1200 sites. It would be invidious to pick out just some places of major importance. Suffice to say that no matter what part of West Wicklow you come from, there is sure to be at least one item of archaeological interest listed here.

ID number(s): 0707649439

Chapters: Introduction – Flint Scatters  – Megalithic Tombs – Neolithic Single Burials –Bronze Age Burials — Barrows – Cairns – Ring-cairns – Tumuli — Rock Art – Stone Circles — Standing Stones – Fulachta Fiadh – Miscellaneous Burials – Hillforts – Coastal Promontory Forts – Ringforts – Souterrains – Enclosures – Earthworks – Settlement Sites – Toghers and Roads – Ecclesiastical Sites – Medieval Monastic Sites – Graveyards and Burial Grounds – Children’s Burial Grounds — Ecclesiastical Miscellanea – Bullaun Stones – Ogham Stones – Wayside Cross – Holy Wells – Moated Sites – Rectangular Enclosures – Medieval Earthwork Castles – Anglo-Norman Stone Fortresses – Hall House – Sites of Castles – Tower Houses – Fortified Houses – Historic Towns – Later Houses – Mills and Millstones – Charcoal and Ironworking Sites – Sweathouses – Battlefields – Glossary – Bibliography – Subject and Townland Indexes – Location Maps.

Extra #1: Contains many photographs both colour and black & white.

Extra #2: Contains 23 pages of locations maps.

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #5: Link to the Archaeological Survey Database Online and plot these features on current and historical maps.

The Church of the Bog

Cover image

© JKAS

Full title: Burgage (formerly Donagh-Emlagh), County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Lord Walter FitzGerald

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 8p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. VII, No. 6, pp. 416-423

When Published: July 1914

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby / 116 Grafton Street, Dublin.

About:   This article looks at the documentary evidence for the name of Burgage and for the former name of Donagh-Emlagh (meaning Church of the boggy land). The author also visits the local churchyard and comments on the remains of various buildings and monuments that he observed there.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: includes photographs and a map.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: View the entry for ‘Burgage’ in the Placenames Database of Ireland.

Extra #5: Browse the 1911 Census entry for the author of this article.

From Killamoat to Cranareen

Book cover image

© Rathdangan CC

Full title: Rathdangan heritage trail : a walk through time from Killamoat Church to Cranareen Cemetery

Creator / Author: Rathdangan Community Council

Item Type / Page count: Booklet / 28p

When Published: 2009

Publisher / Place of Publication: Rathdangan Community Council / Rathdangan, Co. Wicklow.

About: A well-illustrated description of a heritage trail in the Rathdangan district which links many points of historical interest. Another excellent example of a local community initiative to highlight the heritage and history of their neighbourhood.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Introduction and Acknowledgements – Hello to Rathdangan [poem] / William Byrne — Rathdangan Heritage Trail map — Killamoat Church — From Killamoat Church [poem] / Tom Kelly — The Camp Field — School — The Moat — Football fields – The school and the Ruahan — The Butler’s field — The old road -– County football final — Mass house – Accident site – Shebeen – Rathdangan Church and O’Toole Memorial Hall — The village of Rathdangan: 18th to 20th century [1] Shops and public houses [2] Schools [3] Tradesmen [4] Fair — Toberowen – The shoeing stone — Moses Walsh’s schoolhouse — Mrs Kehoe’s shop — Kavanagh’s Tailors — Cornaan Barracks — Cornaan Church — Tubbernashankill — Cranareen Cemetery.

Extra #1: Includes map with photographs profusely interspersed throughout the text.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Link to the Rathdangan.com website

A Second Valleymount Compendium

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Valleymount – Facets of our Local History Part Two

Creator / Author: Fr. Richard Cantwell (editor) & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Magazine (Complete issue) / 38p

When Published: Christmas 1990

Publisher / Place of Publication: Parish of Valleymount / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow.

About: This is the second of four collections of local history material which was first published separately in various issues of the Valleymount Parish News.  It covers areas such as Lacken, Baltyboys, Blessington, Poulaphuca and Valleymount. The major article in this collection is on the history of Valleymount G.A.A. club. It is a photocopied rather than printed publication and the quality of reproduction reflects this.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Cover drawing: The Church — Photograph of C. S. Parnell and T. M. O’Reilly —  Valleymount Church Restoration / Fr. Richard Cantwell  — St. Kevin’s Window / Fr. Richard Cantwell  – St. Joseph’s Valleymount, Re-opened / A Special Correspondent — Bishop Boden’s Well — Parish Registers of Births, Marriages and Confirmations  / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Ireland’s ‘Forgotten’ Valley / Barbara Page – To the memory of Father Rowan [poem] / Anon — Lough Cleevaun [poem] / T. M. O’Reilly – Granabeg [poem] / T. M. O’Reilly — …”When yez lave me in Baltyboys” / Matty Lennon – Sister Kevin Osborne / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Fr. Seamus McGeehan [obituary] / Mgr. Owen Sweeney — The Lord Mayor / Mattie Lennon — Diamond Jubilee of Father Dufficy / Fr. Richard Cantwell — The Dublin Blessington Steam Tram / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Valleymount GAA Club / Sean O’Sullivan – Items from ‘Leinster Leader’ – A Peek at our History / Fr. Richard Cantwell.

Extra #1: Contains illustrations and reproduction photographs throughout the text.

Extra #2: Link to the full text of this magazine via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #3: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this magazine online

A Little Miscellany of Things and Times Past

Cover image

© JCKAS

Full title: Archaeological Jottings from the Neighbourhood of Baltinglass

Creator / Author: Charles M. Drury

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 7p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. IV, No. 2, pp. 148-154

When Published: 1903

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby / 116 Grafton Street, Dublin.

About:   An article by this Grangecon author on various archaeological features known to him as well as historical snippets gleaned from conversations with locals. The area covered ranges widely from Glen of Imaal to the Carlow border. The amount of information on each topic is relatively sparse and probably deserves fuller treatment. The biggest section of the article is given over to the family of Rev. Benjamin Neale.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: includes some rough illustrations and the Neale Family coat-of-arms.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #4: Browse the 1901 Census entry for the author of this article.

Extra #5: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~