West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Baltinglass Abbey”

New Owner for Baltinglass Abbey on This Day!

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Baltinglass Abbey, its possessions, and their post-Reformation proprietors

Creator / Author: Lord Walter Fitzgerald

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 37p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V (Number 6), pp. 378-414

When Published: July 1908

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby, 116 Grafton Street, Dublin for County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About:  On 30th June, 1541 ownership of the Baltinglass Abbey lands in Co. Wicklow was granted to Sir Thomas Eustace (Viscount Baltinglass). This is just one small piece of information to be gleaned from this major article on Baltinglass Abbey. The author firstly details mentions of the abbey’s existence from its foundation around 1148 until its suppression and the forfeiture of its possessions in 1541. The next section looks at the various owners of the abbey lands from 1541 onwards. The final part of the article is a description of the abbey and of the pieces found therein. An appendix lists the placenames from Speed’s map of 1610 and also includes a list of the names of the abbots of the abbey.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Includes several illustrations and photographs.

Extra #4: Includes a map of the Barony of Upper Talbotstown and part of that of Ballinacor, taken from Speed’s map of Wicklow, 1610

Extra #5: Includes pedigree charts for the family of Eustace, Viscounts Baltinglass

Extra #6: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Grangecon and the Harringtons

Cover image

© CKAS

Full title: Notes on Grange Con, County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Sir Arthur Vicars

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 4p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. III (Number 6), pp. 382-385

When Published: January 1902

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby, Dublin for County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare

About: This short piece looks at the ownership of Grange Con and adjacent areas following the dissolution of Baltinglass Abbey. It covers the period from around 1541 to 1612 and mainly features the family of Sir Henry Harrington.

ID number(s): 0332-0782

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: This article includes two illustrations of sculptured stones set into the then existing castle ruins of Grange Con.

Extra #4: The author was an Honorary Secretary to the County Kildare Archaeological Society for around 30 years between 1891-1921. He had family connections with Grangecon and probably lived there at certain times.

Extra #5: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

Baltinglass Abbey [Reblog]

About: This is an excellent portfolio of photographs and accompanying textual detail relating to Baltinglass Abbey. Most of the pictures are in the trademark monochrome style of the photographer, Ed Mooney, which gives a very atmospheric feeling to the images. Please visit Ed’s original blog to view the complete set.

Ed Mooney Photography

Baltinglass

This Abbey is one of my personal favourite sites to visit. Last week I found myself urged to make the drive down the N81 through Blessington to the small town of Baltinglass in Wicklow to explore the Abbey. Baltinglass was historically known in Irish as Bealach Conglais, meaning “Road of Cúglas”.  Conglas was a member of the legendary warrior army, the Fianna led by Fionn MacCumhaill.  It has been about ten years since my last visit here and it still holds the peaceful atmosphere that I remember. Built around a bridge crossing the river Slaney it was in Baltinglass in 1148AD that the then King of Leinster Diarmuid Mac Murchada, founded the Abbey on the east bank of the River Slaney for a group of Cistercian monks from the Abbey of Mellifont in Co. Louth. He called this monastic settlement “The Valley of Salvation”. In 1228 it is recorded that…

View original post 1,094 more words

Three Parishes History

Book Cover image

© The Author

Full title: The story of Baltinglass: a history of the parishes of Baltinglass, Ballynure and Rathbran in County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Claude Chavasse

Item Type / Page count: Book / 75pp

When Published: 1970

Publisher / Place of Publication: [The Author] / [Briska, Lemybrien, Co. Waterford].

About: In the course of writing a short guide for tourists visiting Baltinglass Abbey, the local rector, Canon Claude Chavasse, found there was so much material that a local history book could be written. This he did shortly after moving to County Waterford. The book is an excellent introduction to the history of the areas that comprise the three parishes.

ID number(s): None

Chapters: Preface — Before history – 1. Monuments 2. Legends – The coming of the Monks  – The Abbey buildings – Life in the Abbey –Life outside the Abbey — After the Dissolution – The Stratford Ascendancy – Notes on the O’Neills of Mount Neill — Baltinglass in the 19th and 20th Centuries – [Appendices]  A. Glossary — B. Abbots of Baltinglass – C. Rectors etc of Baltinglass — D. Parish Priests of Baltinglass and Ballynure – E. Curates (R.C.) of Baltinglass and Ballynure – F. Rectors of Ballynure – G. Perpetual curates and Incumbents of Rathbran – H. Patent of Sir Charles Willmott, 1618.

Extra #1: Contains map, plan and ten photographs.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Fifth Collection of Articles on West Wicklow History

Cover image

© WWHS

Full title: Journal of the West Wicklow Historical Society: Number 5, 2009

Creator / Author: West Wicklow Historical Society & contributors, joint editors Chris Lawlor, Donal McDonnell

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 107p

When Published: 2009

Publisher / Place of Publication: West Wicklow Historical Society / Baltinglass (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The fifth publication of a set of articles on aspects of West Wicklow history. This issue covers locations from Baltyboys to Kiltegan with contributions from natives of the area.  Also featured is a major article by Chris Lawlor on Tithe, Protest and Criminality around Dunlavin during the years 1823-1845.

ID number(s): 0790-1739

Contents: Frontispiece: A map of 31 holdings in Stratford, late 18thC — A word from the Chairman — Ramblings from the Secretary — All the year round / Joseph McArdle — St. Patrick’s Missionary Society: S.P.S (The Kiltegan Fathers)  / Peadar C. Ó Cuilinn — Tithe, Protest and Criminality around Dunlavin, 1823-1845 / Chris Lawlor — Billy’s Country – a childhood memory / Kathleen Kinsella (née Keogh) — The West Wicklow Historical Society Officers 2009 — Baltinglass Cistercian Abbey / Mairéad Connellan — When Britannia’s sons with their long-range guns ran out in the Glen of Imaal / Liam Kenny — Photo from the past – John Dwyer, son of rebel leader Michael Dwyer / Eugene Byrne — West Wicklow as described in the Parliamentary Gazetteer of 1846 / compiled by Jason Lawlor — A horse tale / Dorothy Leonard — Memories of Donard [photo essay] — Elizabeth Smith comes to Baltyboys / Jim Corley — Dairy farming in West Wicklow: from the horse driven dash churn to creamery milk collection / Stanley Jackson — Methodists in Baltinglass – a juvenile obituary / Andrew Winnett — Extracts from the ‘Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers’ Directory Through Ireland’ / William Wilson — The development and present state of local Irish historiography / Chris Lawlor — A dangerous line / Janes Scannell — Endpiece: Map of Clough, Baltinglass 1722.

Extra #1: Contains black & white photographs, graphs and map reproductions.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide

Baltinglass Notes from 1907

Cover image

© JCKAS

Full title: Historical Notes on Baltinglass in Modern Times

Creator / Author: E. P. O’Kelly

Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 7p

Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V, pp. 332-338

When Published: 1908

Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby / 116 Grafton Street, Dublin

About:   This short article is the text of a paper read at a meeting of the Kildare Archaeological Society held in Baltinglass on Wednesday, the 11th September, 1907.  The author was a prominent businessman / publican in the town and, at the time of presenting the paper, was  Chairman of Wicklow County Council. His business was located at the site of the present day Germaines.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.

 

The Monk’s Farm in Carlow

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Grange, Co. Carlow: the Path to the Present

Creator / Author: Jimmy O’Toole

Item Type / Page count: Book / 174p

When Published: 1987

Publisher / Place of Publication: Grange G.A.A. Club / Grange, Co. Carlow

About: A history of a community in County Carlow which is illustrated from contemporary sources with additional photographs. The book originally started out as a history of Grange G.A.A. Club in the centenary year of the Association but came to encompass the history of the catchment area from which the club took its membership.

ID number(s): 0951233602  /9780951233603

Contents: To the reader — Foreword — Prehistoric sites — Monasteries and Churches: The Cistercian Lay Brothers of Grangeford, Knights Hospitallers of Killerig, Friarstown Church, Grange Church, Straboe, Killerig Church — Ballygorey — The Landed Gentry: Duckett’s Grove — The 1798 Rebellion — Education — The Famine Period — Changes in Land Occupation — Parnell in Grangeford — War of Independence and Civil War — Old Ways Remembered — Family Profiles: The Reids of Grange, Sir John Thorp, Col. Joseph Kennedy, Professor Charles McNally J.P., Hugh Canavan – inventor, Matt McCormack  — National Political Figures — Grange Missionaries Worldwide — Grange G.A.A. Club — Obituaries — Place Names — Bibliography — The Blooming Flower of Grange (ballad) — Map.

WW Connection #1: The area covered by this book was part of the land possessions of Baltinglass Abbey and the placename of Grange derived from its use as an outfarm of the Abbey.

Extra #1: includes numerous photographs, illustrations and a map.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Visitor’s Guide to Historic Sites

Book cover image

© The Publishers

Full title: A Guide to the Archaeology of County Wicklow

Creator / Author: Eoin Grogan and Tom Hillery

Item Type / Page count: Book / 59p

When Published: 1993

Publisher / Place of Publication: Wicklow County Tourism / County Buildings, Wicklow.

About: Wicklow has a wealth of archaeological sites and ancient monuments. This A4 size publication aims to interest the tourist in this aspect of our heritage. Many West Wicklow sites are included in this excellent and profusely illustrated introduction to the archaeology of Wicklow.

ID number(s): 0951975404

Chapters: The Neolithic: Passage tombs — Late Neolithic burial sites — Wedge tombs — The Early Bronze Age: Ceremonial circles — The Iron Age: hillforts — The Early Medieval Period: Ringforts — Glendalough — Bullauns, graveslabs and ogham stones — Early and later medieval churches — Viking and medieval towns — The Later Medieval Period: Monastic sites — Mottes, moated sites and castles — Anglo-Norman fortifications — Tower houses — Castles — Places of special interest — Archaeological trails — Suggested reading — Glossary — List of sites by townland — List of figures.

Extra #1: Contains plans of all the major sites, drawn by Sarah Cross

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Monks and their Lands

Book cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: A Monastic Landscape: the Cistercians in Medieval Ireland

Creator / Author: Breda Lynch

Item Type / Page count: Book / 192p

When Published: 2011

Publisher / Place of Publication: Xlibris Corporation / Bloomington, Indiana

About: This is a detailed study of various aspects of the Cistercian Order in medieval Leinster. It focuses on the lands that the monasteries held in the province, including the great houses of Mellifont, Baltinglass, Jerpoint, Duiske, Tintern and Dunbrody. The main content of the book deals with the identification of the lands held by the Cistercian houses of Leinster, with references to other provinces. The last chapter deals with the fate of these monasteries in the post-Dissolution period.

ID number(s): 1453561005 / 9781453561003

WW Connection #1: Contains several references to Baltinglass Abbey. The author has worked as a guide and Information Officer at Jerpoint Abbey, which itself was founded from Baltinglass.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~