West Wicklow Bookshelf

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Archive for the tag “Quakers”

The ‘Friends’ in Baltyboys (2)

Book Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: The Quakers of Baltyboys, County Wicklow, 1678 to 1800s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: Book / 56p

When Published: July 2017

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Historical Committee of the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland / Quaker House, Stocking Lane, Dublin 16 D16 V3F8

About: This is a history of the Quaker community which settled in the valley of the King’s River in West Wicklow. Also known as ‘The Religious Society of Friends’, The Quakers were heavily involved in the woollen and textile industry. Appendices to the main text include individual family details and a brief explanation of Quaker origins. This book was originally published as an eBook on the author’s website in 2015.

ID number(s): 9781911345565

Contents: Preface – Acknowledgements – Foreword / Christopher Moriarty – Ballymore-Eustace, the gateway to West  Wicklow — Baltyboys — The  Quakers’ move to Ireland — The founding of Blessington ‘New Town’ – Visits by important Quakers to Dublin — Peter Peisley’s move to Baltyboys — The first Quaker lease at Baltyboys, 1678 — The role of the early Quakers at Baltyboys — The rationale for Quakers to settle at Baltyboys—Connections of the Baltyboys Quakers with Dublin — William Lappam’s refusal to pay tithes — Anthony Sharp’s visit to Blessington — Quaker settlement beyond Baltyboys — Other Protestant settlers of the early 1700s — Quaker weaving activities at Baltyboys – Disownments – Quaker Families at Baltyboys in 1791 — Peisleys replaced by Radcliffes – The 1798 Rebellion — Quaker Migration into the Church of Ireland — After the Quakers – Appendices: 1. The ‘Religious Society of Friends’ – 2.The Quaker meeting house and graveyard at Baltyboys – 3. Notes on individual Quaker families of Baltyboys – 4. Other family names.

Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Extra #3: Includes two maps.

Extra #4: Link to the Quakers in Ireland website.

Extra #5: Link to the author’s website.

Extra #6: Link to the author’s page on Academia.edu

Advertisements

Weaving Down the King’s River Valley

Book Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: Wool and Weaving in the Kings River Valley, County Wicklow: 1660’s to 1840s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 95p

When Published: March 2nd, 2016

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: The Quaker community based around Baltyboys were responsible for wool production in the area and supplied Dublin with this commodity. Later this enterprise developed into carding, spinning and weaving operations. In this substantial e-book publication, local author, John Hussey, details the almost 200-year history of wool and weaving in the King’s River Valley.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Author details – Notes — Acknowledgements – 1650 to 1699 – The wool and weaving industries in Ireland — 1699 to c.1740 – The Wool Act and rustication — c.1750 – Weaving and tuck mills — 1760s – Road improvements — 1760s to 1770s – Pirn/Warping mills — 1770s to 1790s – The commercial state of Co. Wicklow — 1798 – The United Irish Rebellion — 1800 to 1840s — The final decline and death of weaving – Epilogue – Appendix 1 – Valleymount and hat-making – Appendix 2 – Weaving in the town of Blessington and on the estate – Appendix 3 – Flax growing and linen weaving in Co. Wicklow – Appendix 4 – General Holt’s metal boilers.

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at Our Wicklow Heritage

Extra #2: Includes several maps, photographs and illustrations.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

The ‘Friends’ in Baltyboys (1)

Cover image

© John Hussey

Full title: The Quakers of Baltyboys, County Wicklow: 1678 to 1800s

Creator / Author: John Hussey

Item Type / Page count: eBook / 44p

When Published: 2015 (Second edition March 7th, 2016)

Publisher / Place of Publication: John Hussey / [Co. Wicklow?]

About: This is a history of the Quaker community which settled in the valley of the King’s River in West Wicklow. Also known as ‘The Religious Society of Friends’, The Quakers were heavily involved in the woollen and textile industry. Appendices to the main text include individual family details and a brief explanation of Quaker origins.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Abstract – Acknowledgements — Ballymore, the gateway to west  Wicklow — Baltyboys — The  Quakers’ move to Ireland — Events of 1669 – 1671 – Peter Peisley’s move to Baltyboys — The founding of the ‘New Town’ of Blessington – The rationale for Quakers to settle at Baltyboys — Visits by important Quakers to Dublin — The role of the early Quakers at Baltyboys — The first Quaker lease at Baltyboys, 1678 — Connections with Dublin – Anthony Sharp — William Lappam’s refusal to pay tithes — Anthony Sharp’s visit to Blessington — Quaker settlement beyond Baltyboys — Other Protestant settlers of the early 1700s — Quaker weaving activities at Baltyboys – Disownments – Peisleys replaced by Radcliffes – The 1798 Rebellion — Migration of Quakers into the Church of Ireland — After the Quakers – Appendix 1: The ‘Religious Society of Friends’ – Appendix 2: The Quaker meeting house and graveyard at Baltyboys – Appendix 3: Notes on individual Quaker families of Baltyboys

Extra #1: Browse to the full text of this ebook via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #2: Includes two maps.

Extra #3: Hat tip to the author, John Hussey, for making this ebook freely available online.

Extra #4: Link to the author’s page on Academia.edu

**UPDATE** The author’s website (viewed October 2017) states: “My book on the Quakers of Baltyboys has been published by the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland….. July 2017”

Crackers? Not the Christmas Type

Book Cover Image

© The Publisher

Full title: W&R Jacob: celebrating 150 years of Irish biscuit making

Creator / Author: Séamas Ó Maitiú

Item Type / Page count: Book / 121p

When Published: 2001

Publisher / Place of Publication: The Woodfield Press / 17 Jamestown Square, Dublin 8.

About: This book tells the story of Jacobs, the famous Dublin biscuit makers. The Jacob Family, who were Quakers, started their enterprise in Waterford in 1851 but soon relocated to Dublin. Well-known products made by Jacobs included Cream Crackers, Kimberley, Mikado, Coconut Creams and Fig Rolls. Unfortunately, the book does not divulge how they got the figs into the Fig Rolls.

ID number(s): 0953429318

Chapters: Chronology — Picture Credits — Acknowledgements — Preface — Brothers and Friends — Fire, Revolution – and Cream Crackers! — The Figs in the Fig Rolls — From Family Firm to National Stage — On the Move – A New Home in Tallaght — Jacob’s in Literature — Partners / Directors of W. & R. Jacob Co., Dublin — Short Bibliography.

WW Connection #1: The author is a resident of West Wicklow.

Extra #1: includes many illustrations, photographs, advertisements and a Family Tree.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #3: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

First Collection of Lakeside Articles

Cover image

© BLHG

Full title: Journal of Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group

Creator / Author: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Journal (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: 2013

Publisher / Place of Publication: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group / Blessington (?), Co. Wicklow.

About: The inaugural publication of a set of articles on aspects of the history and heritage of areas that surround Blessington Lake. All articles are concise ranging from snippets to four and a half pages. Plans are already afoot for the next issue.

ID number(s): 9781908559906

Contents: Cover Photo: The Mace of the Corporation of Blessington, 1786 — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group — Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Members — Future issues of the journal — The Tassies of Threecastles / John Hussey — Early local headstones (based on a talk by Chris Corlett) — A stranger in Ireland (snippet) / John Carr — Fair day in Blessington / Seamus Balfe — Early-Medieval Mill-site at Burgage Mor / C.J. Darby — Members of Parliament for Blessington 1692-1800 — The sand pits at Blessington — A history of stonemasons / Andy Farrington — Local lime kilns / Aiden Cruise — “I done my bit for my country” / Tom Tyrell — Presentment Grants, Kildare Spring Assizes, 1882 / abstract by Aiden Cruise — Archaeological locations in Lakeside / Aiden Cruise — The Quaker burial-ground at Baltyboys / Maureen McCaw — The woollen mills, Ballymore-Eustace / Matt Purcell — A visit to Bishop Boden’s Well, Lacken, Sunday November 5th, 1978 / Seamus Balfe — The Dispensary Doctor / Fidelma Clearkin— Church of ‘Our Lady’ [from Irish Independent Friday, 31st May, 1946] — Summer visitors – by Tram [from Irish Independent Saturday, 17th August, 1912] — Public Notices [from Freemans Journal 24th August, 1921] — Threecastles and Burgage Castle / Dr. Brendan O’Riordain — Blessington is our town [poem] / Michael Farrington — Church records and Manor Kilbride graveyard survey / Blessington History Society — Kilbride Military Camp / courtesy of Pat Lavelle — Cures in the 1820s from Fr. Finney of Valleymount — Blessington Men’s Shed — Estate Maps of our district — The Liffey Bridges beat them all! — Back Cover Photo: The gravestone of Patrick Brady at Manor Kilbride, 1732

Extra #1: Contains black & white photographs, illustrations and plans.

Extra #2: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #2: Blessington-Lakeside Heritage Group can be contacted via email @gmail.com. Use BlessingtonLakeside as the name.

A First Valleymount Compendium

Cover image

© The Publisher

Full title: Valleymount – Facets of our Local History. Part One

Creator / Author: Fr. Richard Cantwell (editor) & contributors.

Item Type / Page count: Magazine (Complete issue) / 65p

When Published: Christmas 1990

Publisher / Place of Publication: Parish of Valleymount / Valleymount, Co. Wicklow.

About: Available for the princely sum of 50p, this is the first of four miscellanies which gathers together local history material that was first published separately in various issues of the Valleymount Parish News.  It covers areas such as Lacken, Baltyboys, Poulaphuca and Valleymount and contains a roughly 50/50 mix of church history and secular history. It is a photocopied rather than printed publication and the price and quality of reproduction reflects this.

ID number(s): None

Contents: Cover drawing: The Church — Introduction / Fr. Richard Cantwell  — Church Windows [Our four stained glass windows from the Harry Clarke studios / Fr. Richard Cantwell  – Place Names [Names of townships etc in our Parish of Valleymount] — Death of Fr. Jones [Parish Priest killed in accident] — Recipes: 19th Century [taken from old Valleymount Register 1844-59] — Building Agreement 1862 – Blackditches Church / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Blackditches: its history and its pastors / T. M. O’Reilly — Parish Priests of Valleymount (formerly Baltyboys or Blackditches) — Guide: to Tourists and Sportsmen visiting Blessington and its Environs / T. M. O’Reilly – Advertisements of an earlier age — Tithe Applotment List 1834 / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Stations across the King’s River 1834 / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Tombstones in Baltyboys Cemetery / Brian J. Cantwell — Ballyknockan Brass and Reed Band / Kay Byrne — Lease of former Presbytery, Valleymount / Fr. Richard Cantwell — Fr. Francis O’Loughlin — Ballyknockan Granite Quarries / Mary McEvoy and Annie McEvoy – Plane crash Blackhill, 1941 / Peter Garry [?] – Lacken Church / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Baptismal Font in Lacken Church / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Baptismal Font in Valleymount Church – Lease of Lacken Church / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Parish Visitation: Blackditches and Lacken 1840 / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Lacken / Mrs. White – Presentation to Mrs Easie Gallagher / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Dedication of Lacken Church to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 1882 – The Hollywood Stone / Aiden O’Sullivan – Quaker burial ground in Baltyboys / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Rude stone monument at Lacken / Fr. Richard Cantwell – The excavation of a relig at Ballyknockan – Two ringforts submerged at Ballyknockan – Poulaphuca reservoir / Fr. Richard Cantwell – Murder at Butterhill – Presentation to Fr. Heffernan – Fr. Finney’s affairs – Items from ‘Leinster Leader’.

Extra #1: Contains illustrations and reproduction photographs throughout the text.

Extra #2: Link to the full text of this magazine via this page at blessington.jimdo.com.

Extra #3: Hat tip to John Hussey who maintains the Blessington.jimdo.com website for posting the text of this magazine online

Photographic Memories of Lacken & Further Afield

Book Cover image

© Lacken G.F.C.

Full title: Lacken G.F.C. Pictorial History

Creator / Author: Lacken G.F.C.

Item Type / Page count: Book / 178p

When Published: 2000

Publisher / Place of Publication: Lacken G.F.C. / Lacken, Co. Wicklow.

About: This A4 book is packed with photographs which go towards providing some documentary record of times past. Apart from Lacken, the photos extend to the wider West Wicklow area including Kilbride, Ballyknockan, Blessington, Hollywood, Valleymount, Donard and Dunlavin. Interviews with local people set the pictures in context and lots of other historical information is interspersed throughout.

ID number(s): None

Chapters: Interviews: Essie Gallagher — Essie Hanlon — George Devoy –James (Leo) Carroll — Jack Gallagher — Mary Jane Murphy — Peg Clarke — Tom Jones — Walter Balfe — Dan Richardson — Cathy Tyrell — Kit Mahon — Pat Hanlon — Maisie Miley — Mrs. Brigid White — Tom and Cathy Carrol (including song about Michael Dwyer) — Lacken — General John C. O’Neill — Wart stones — The Bonfire stone — The Poulaphuca reservoir — Electric light in Lacken — The Liffey Scheme (song) — Census of Ballyinahown / Lacken 1901 — The Lord Mayor — St. Boden’s Holy Well — Bells in Church of Ireland Church in Blessington — Niall ‘Plunkett’ O’Boyle — Hampden Bomber crash site — The beautiful game (poem) — Lacken & New York — Rev. Fr. Richard Cantwell — Valleymount Parish News — Quaker burial ground in Baltyboys — Irish Folklore Commission — A sweat house (Carrigcurra) — A hedge school — Local weather observations — The blessed well — The Wicklow Vales (poem) — Bibliography.

Extra #1: Contains hundreds of photographs.

Extra #2: Contains maps and some songs, ballads and poems.

Extra #3: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.

Extra #4: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.

Post Navigation

An Irish Village

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

South Dublin Libraries Local Studies Blog

News and snippets of South Dublin County local studies interest

Irish Election Literature

... what you maybe meant to keep...

Patrick Leigh Fermor

He drank from a different fountain

Ed Mooney Photography

The home of Kildare based Photographer, Blogger and self proclaimed Ruinhunter.

Jacolette:

a gallery of Irish snapshot and vernacular photography.

IrishGenealogyNews

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Brand New Retro

Vintage Irish Pop Culture & Lifestyle

LPCover Lover

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~

Blog

~~ Logging Local Studies Sources Old & New ~~