Full title: Baltinglass Abbey, its possessions, and their post-Reformation proprietors
Creator / Author: Lord Walter Fitzgerald
Item Type / Page count: Journal Article / 37p
Journal Information: Journal of the County Kildare Archaeological Society, Vol. V (Number 6), pp. 378-414
When Published: July 1908
Publisher / Place of Publication: E. Ponsonby, 116 Grafton Street, Dublin for County Kildare Archaeological Society / Co. Kildare
About: On 30th June, 1541 ownership of the Baltinglass Abbey lands in Co. Wicklow was granted to Sir Thomas Eustace (Viscount Baltinglass). This is just one small piece of information to be gleaned from this major article on Baltinglass Abbey. The author firstly details mentions of the abbey’s existence from its foundation around 1148 until its suppression and the forfeiture of its possessions in 1541. The next section looks at the various owners of the abbey lands from 1541 onwards. The final part of the article is a description of the abbey and of the pieces found therein. An appendix lists the placenames from Speed’s map of 1610 and also includes a list of the names of the abbots of the abbey.
ID number(s): 0332-0782
Extra #1: Check Libraries Ireland for this publication.
Extra #2: Check OCLC WorldCat.org for this publication in libraries worldwide.
Extra #3: Includes several illustrations and photographs.
Extra #4: Includes a map of the Barony of Upper Talbotstown and part of that of Ballinacor, taken from Speed’s map of Wicklow, 1610
Extra #5: Includes pedigree charts for the family of Eustace, Viscounts Baltinglass
Extra #6: Visit the County Kildare Archaeology Society website.